Thursday, September 30, 2010

Eurotrash: The Final Hurrah

I won't say too much on the final few places, only because I've been writing so much down for my personal records - and I'm starting to procrastinate from doing it, which isn't good.

Mallorca ended up being different to what I expected - perhaps that's because I was under the impression I'd be hitting the clubs, beaching it, sleeping and not much else. What I ended up doing was seeing all the important sights and areas thanks to our host Michel (good) and buying three pairs of shoes in as many days although my suitcase surely wouldn't allow for it (even better). When we did hit the clubs (on the Sunday night) it was exactly what I expected though - drunk Brits being bogan everywhere. Fantastic. Missed out on Deadmau5 by two nights at BCM (their main club where DJ Sammy performs every Friday - !) - I didn't get to go there which was a huge bummer but finding out I'd miss out on them killed me.

Barcelona was a great night, we really should've stayed there longer like we originally planned. Only as a transition between Mallorca and Athens we ended up having arguably the best accommodation all trip (with towels... and SOAP!), the best central location AND good luck with two clubs. Funny story time: dancing with Helen, then an Argentinean guy whose cousins had befriended us decides to get real close and ask me: 'Can I bite you? Pleeease?' I almost went into hysterics. Gold. We only had about four hours sleep before leaving to catch our flight, where I happen to bump into Beth from Tomatina. Small world.

Athens was great as a bookend to Nemea because I saw a totally different side of Greece, the one seriously affected by their current economic struggle. Student transport ticket for 90mins: 50 Euro cents. Cheeeeap. And they think things have skyrocketed. But spending time with my mum's side was great; went for coffee everyday - around a marina, Glyfada (which is a really nice area) - and returned to my love: the pite. Went to a restaurant which was constantly packed called Georgia's Pites where they seriously had the best yiros' I've ever had in my entire life. These didn't have chips in them like anywhere else but they tasted incredible.

Saw the Acropolis and surroundings: the Parthenon is colossal. I didn't want to leave it; so so beautiful. Think I cried a little. Saw Hadrian's Gate and the Temple of Zeus and then most of Ancient Agora where Helen had slight issues... climbing some steps, which of course are marble and therefore slippery, and an exasperated Helen says to me: 'MORE marble?!' I just turn and say: 'Dude, it's Ancient Greece. Of course there's marble.' That, with Barcelona two days before brought arguably the two best quotes of the trip. Genius.

Loved the Monestiraki and Plaka areas... felt drawn to Athens - and not just because everyone dresses impeccably. Caught myself imagining an older version of me there with a husband and kids walking around the streets. I must've looked local enough; a (hottt) TV presenter approaches me with mike and all. Couldn't help him out - need to brush up on my Greek properly I've decided. Didn't matter for the club we went to though... like Mykonos, looked like something out of a film. Every girl in heels (and me caught out wearing flats because I didn't know we were going) and really good mix of Greek and English music made for a great night out.

Before we knew it the five days were over and we were going home. No major dramas getting back to Oz, except for the freezing night-stay in Melbs. A horrible wake-up call. But I went to Sydney to shop and sightsee a bit more five days after coming back to Adelaide. After THAT I was shopped out AND aware I was really home. Which got me down for a bit. But I think I'm okay now. Looking at all my clothes makes me happy anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment