Monday, March 01, 2010

Uni's (not) back

Today was just a normal day but from the beginning there were mixed feelings about everything. So not really 'normal' then huh?

Firstly, it's THE birthday date of the year, with at least seven people I know celebrating their birth today - hope they all had a great day. It was definitely nice to unexpectedly spend dinner with family for my grandma's birthday (and have awesome home-made cake and cream for dessert. Feeling quite full.).

Secondly, no-one told me it would be that frickin' cold when I stepped outside to walk to the bus stop. The Havvys weren't the best choice. But more importantly, when the 197 finally came and I hopped on, something clicked in my brain. The bus was full, which was to be expected considering it was at 8am - but with young adults and their backpacks and energy drinks, not workers with suitcases. Uni was back.

I strangely found myself making my way for the back row seats, not feeling comfortable with sitting elsewhere as everyone stared at me. Were they wondering if I was to become a regular perhaps? Alas, catching it at this particular time was rare for me. But not that they knew that.

Reading my magazine couldn't distract me from trying to sort out my emotions. On one hand I felt old - even though I obviously still look like a student (and was dressed like one for the most part too, total bum clothes today), and on the other hand felt a little sad. I knew I had grown to like the uni lifestyle a lot... and then it sank in. My card expired as of today. There's no anticipation of new classes, who's in them, and even to a small extent the impending assignments. There's the catch-ups in Aroma... aaaand complaining about the slow-moving line in Aroma, the cheap mochas from The Caf and the warm, sleep-worthy lecture room in the H building. Oh, I'll definitely miss that.

At the top of University Drive at Flinders Uni, all but about five of us got off and it felt horribly bare. It was still cold when I hopped off the bus at Marion to walk into the still-quiet centre, and it hadn't escaped me. Working made me realise that my life is (organised) chaos now, and not as rigid a routine as uni would have it. At some point I have to move on, and that's what I'm doing. It's just that today I realised it that little bit more.

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Too true. It's the strangest feeling... an emptiness at first when you realise you've lost that reassuring presence of Uni and study, and the lifestyle that revolves around it. Pretty soon things (like work!) seem to devour all that extra time you thought you had and life accelerates into grown-up-ed-ness (for want of a better word!).
    Katina said...
    Oh believe me, it already has! Just not in my chosen career yet haha

Post a Comment