Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Glee-ful Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone!

Glee Previously Unaired Christmas
Photo: tenplay.com.au
Having immersed myself in the latest season of Glee this week as part of an ongoing TV catch-up post-move, I wanted to talk about a couple of things regarding the show.

1: The Cory Monteith tribute episode.

I didn't watch it at the time; the news of his death was horrible, I was particularly busy and I hadn't watched the episodes before it. Finally getting to it a couple of months later though, it was still incredibly sad. Glee has always dealt with strong topical issues, from school shootings to gay acceptance, and Monteith's death was dealt with accordingly.

2: The Beatles episodes.

I can't say I've ever been a huge Beatles fan. The only song of theirs I think I have on my iPod is Get Back because that's what my dad had downloaded once (and I was influenced by his taste for different pop/rock music). But listening to the Glee crew singing their way through a snippet of their illustrious catalogue, I was touched by the simple lyrics and melodies. It's actually made me want to go and buy their 1 album.

I love that five seasons in, Glee has the ability to still influence younger generations into appreciating good music - while still embracing modern and perhaps dubious acts like twerking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment