Tuesday, July 22, 2014


I have returned to Australia. I have lots of different things I want to write about on this blog. But to start slowly...

Today marked my official return to reality when I stepped into the newsroom about 8.47am. It not only felt strange because of my near-two-month absence, but also that I've been given 9am shifts for the week. I can safely say this hasn't happened since about week three of my time at the NT News...

It's a beautiful day to come #backtoreality #backtowork #life #Darwin #NTAustralia #journalism #journalist #desk
My desk was tidy enough because I'd thought to clean around
it before leaving.
There have been more changes in the office than I was aware of, and I was alerted to one change that directly affects my role. I don't think it's official yet so I won't reveal anything, but let's just say I'm actually pretty excited about it.

It's been a whirlwind few days since returning to Australia. I first handled a blustery Sydney – but as I'm finding each time I visit the big smoke, the day was lovely... filled with wonderful people old and new in my life, and productive shopping to boot. I was even given a beautiful early birthday present which welcomed me home so nicely.

I'll be trying the tea out later Carina, thank you lovely!
I was really looking forward to returning to Darwin's nice weather, and it's delivering. On hearing it's been warmer than usual after a cooler few weeks, I'm not minding at all. IT'S DRY HEAT. Which I can handle. And the nights are amazing... I've been writing this from my balcony, which will now be getting quite the workout. Eating dinner outside - with no flies FYI – is also rather amazing.


I'll admit though, I have slight post-South America stress disorder. There's no denying that. I get all gushy every time someone asks me about it, then I can't believe I'm back in Darwin and at work... back to regular life. I miss everybody. I miss the continent. Articles about Colombia – where I didn't go and apparently should have – keep popping up. And then there's the wristbands. I can't bring myself to cut them all off. I've had this problem after previous trips, but I wasn't in such a job as my current position with any of those. I wore a long-sleeved blouse to work today in case I needed to step out for a story and cover up (to look professional, y'know?). But tomorrow could be the day for them to go... it's my special day of the year so it could be a poignant moment.

Struggled to fit them in the pic... and I still have more than three weeks left #halfwayupmywrist #travel #SouthAmerica2014 #Brazil #Argentina #holiday #Fanatics #Lapa #Brazil2014
There was one more to come after this...
As for the holiday itself? There are so many stories. I hope to share a few of them on here soon. Know that for now they are swimming in my head, most smiling at me. Happy times far outweighed the sad and they are the ones that stick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment