Monday, January 30, 2012

Like 2.3 million other Australians plus a lot more people worldwide, I watched last night's Australian Open mens final.  My lowdown concerns a number of factors encompassing the game, players and personal experience.

1. The hype

The Australian Open seriously delivered in 2012. Sam Stosur failed to live up to expectation as a top 10 player, but Bernard Tomic and Lleyton Hewitt tried their absolute hardest for the Aussies. And our number one seed in the boys juniors took out the title which is promising.

Hewitt's set off Djokovic had Australia on the edge of their seats. I've never really been a Hewitt hater, so I was happy to see him do so well before ultimately bowing out. I really felt for him on seeing the emotion on his face. And then since, I really enjoyed his commentary, he speaks well.

2. The WAGs

See my previous blog on the WAGs of the Australian Open. 'Nuff said.

3. The grunting

I managed to watch the womens final after my mind had decided that the tennis balls sound like that on impact. More opinion on that here. But in the mens final(s) I noticed that they are just as bad but on a lower octave (if that's the correct term).

4. The finals

The top four men made the semi's. That's something to say for the strength of The Untouchables isn't it? The skill shown by all four was incredible... the Sydney Morning Herald was succinct in saying Roger Federer can't get up to Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal, while Andy Murray can't get there yet - but Federer's still got the brilliance. And this is from someone who has never really gone out of their way to watch him play.

5. Changing tastes

And here's where my personal view comes into it. I went into this Open obviously hoping the Aussies would do well, and looked forward to seeing the Roddicks and Baghdatis's of the circuit. The exciting personalities. But both of those exited early, and then after my WAG discovery, the last remaining Djoker started to get on my nerves a bit. I found myself going for Murray in the semi, while also going for Federer against Nadal.

And then in the final I found myself going for Nadal. Which has never happened before.

And so to...

6. THE FINAL.

I'll try and be brief. As we all know, it was AMAZING. The tennis was incredible from the outset, and some of the rallies five-and-a-half hours in were just miraculous. Being about 1am I was starting to doze off before they came back with those to blow me away and wanting more when Djokovic finally dropped to the ground victorious.

But there WERE things that irritated me. I've turned a bit on Djokovic yes, and last night didn't help his case. Now, I'm Orthodox too and respect the whole religion thing, but bringing the prayers onto the court is so unnecessary.

Then there was the Hulk moment. Sure, I get it. But really, it was like watching the cringy moment in Star Wars Episode III when Hayden Christensen's Darth Vader cries 'nooooooo' at finding out Luke's his son. Painful to watch.


To be fair, he IS the world's best. Either would have been worthy winners. But I was cheering for Nadal, and really sad at seeing his disappointment. Like, really sad. Looking forward to jumping on his bandwagon in 2012 to see if he can crack Djokovic. It was a game for the ages, fitting for the 100th anniversary of the mens final. So fitting.

7. Twitter

My viewing was accompanied by fierce Tweeting throughout, and managing to be mentioned by @AustralianOpen twice as well as making a solid Twitter BFF from Portland, Oregon, USA, it was a definite highlight alongside the wonderful play unfolding. Twitter on events like this is amazing. My new motto is #sleepisfortheweak, I am inspired by the people of the world.

8. Over for another year

Came home tonight to see TBA on the TV guide... how depressing. Over for another year already. This year has told me more than ever that I need to go, so I WILL be at Melbourne Park in 2013.

3 Comments:

  1. Hari said...
    Good read! Thought i would respond to your factors in the same order.

    1. I agree the tournmanet lived up to its hype. Was good to see Tomic get some good wins - i enjoyed his match with dolgopolov. It was a breath of fresh air in todays otherwise power & baseline game. His match with Federer was a good learning curve - i think he'll be in the top 10 within the next 2 seasons if not sooner. I've never been a Hewitt fan and it looked like it was going to be a routine beatdown when he was down 0-3 in the third - but then he turned on the gas. And i secretly started cheering for him. He made the match competetive and i respect his fight and grit.

    2. Haha oh dear - you sound so bitter! Its no doubt that tennis stars attract all the girls for all the right reasons. Three actually. Status, money and...stamina? WAGS will be WAGS i guess. They all seem ok to me. Tomic's gf stands out the most to me as a 'trophy gf' however. I'm paraphrasing Mats Wilander here, but as he said, "would she be with him if not for him being a tennis player?" This leads in nicely to my next point and that is – Federer’s wive. Yes shes no 'trophy' wive but this is one of the reasons i like Federer. He married to the girl he loved from his teenagehood - before his fame and they've made an awesome duo. You may be interested in knowing that she is actually his manager. She organises all his finances and does a ton of behind the scenes work with his scheduling. Now theres a real WAG yes?
    P.s. You forgot Murray's gf!

    3. One of those things that shouldnt exist but enforcing a rule would be too impractical. Like time wasting between points - my pet hate. Now in the mens game, if its on a lower octave then it cant be as bad right? I think men get away with it because they actually do hit the ball harder and are more physical so it seems to fit in with the mood of the match. Azarenka gets picked on more so because it goes on... even till the opponent is about to make contact with the ball. Notice how she stops when she nets the ball? On that note, i find Sharapova's grunt equally as annoying for the sheer fact that its just too loud. BTW, disagree with you - Azarenka is much better looking than Shaza!

    4. The Aus open is always an interesting slam because it has a history in recent times of having more upsets than the other slams and the emergence of a few dark horses (Bagdhatis 06, Gonzalez 07, Tsonga 08, Verdasco 09). But it really is the big 4 in tennis right now. They all played to their respective seeds with 1 & 2 in the final and 1 winning. It doesnt happen too often.
    Hari said...
    5. As you probably know, I'm a federer fan forever so no changes here. But ive developed a soft spot for Djokovic tbh. Just cannot help but appreciate his dominance of the last year. Plus he's beating Nadal - which i like to see :D

    6. This was Nadal's best chance of beating Djokovic. He was much fresher and he was in form. He capitalised early but when Djoker found his groove, it was on the latter's racquet. It looked like it would end like most of their final encounters last year but then Nadal surprised me with his 4th set comeback and the drama began to unfold and the match became great. Great resilience from Nadal and amazing mental strength from Djoker to curb Nadal and his momentum in the fifth to win the championship. I dont understand your irritations tbh - what is so unnecessary about bringing prayers to the court? Its his prerogative and if he believes it will help him, so be it. Is it neccessary for Nadal to pick his butt between points? Im sure you understand the logic trail here. As for the the shirt tearing celebrations - well ok, but he just won his 3rd consecutive slam against the 2nd best player in a 6 hour struggle - huge adrenalin rush.

    7. Love your twitter enthusiasm! I should tweet more :(

    8. Just remember theres an entire tennis season. I know makes its hard to follow with free to air tv and the time zones but i follow the whole year - not only the 4 slams but the 9 part masters series too. Theres always interesting developments over a season. Next stop - the French!
    Katina said...
    Wow, what a great response! Some valid points!

    I guess I just think religion and sport don't mix well, and yes you were cheering for Hewitt, yes you were.

    I knew Merka(?) was involved with Federer in some capacity professionally. Haha and as for Murray's gf she never really came into it for me I guess.

    I've made a promise to follow the season more this year, because of course #sleepisfortheweak (get on that bandwagon yo, you'd be great)!

Post a Comment