Monday, September 10, 2012

Living with democracy

On Saturday I was faced with having my say in a democratic vote, a foundation of Western society.

Voting for people in local government is often not as interesting as state or federal - if you don't live in Dubbo.

The last few weeks in this place have been a madhouse - there were all kinds of scandals from election posters bought on the coast (not locally), to numerous threats and hollow promises.


One promises to embrace the arrival of major chains like Kmart, JB HiFi and Aldi (who have specifically said they can't open in Dubbo becasue the distance required to bring all their stock is too far), another wants to continue playing their role in the same successful way. All play their part in the games that are seemingly designed to confuse voters.

Walking in past all the volunteers with their vote 1 papers was freakin' daunting. They're just so in-your-face that all I could do was say, "Yeah I'll take them, give you all a job to do".

I had an idea who I was voting for before I went so I got in, did my bit and went out to enjoy the rest of the day.
 
Do you feel intimidated when you go to vote? I'd love some opinions :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment