Monday, November 25, 2013

Darwin: day one

For those who don't know, I have moved to Darwin.




Yes, I have left regional NSW for the greener and more humid pastures of the Top End. I began my work today as a reporter for the NT News, known as Australia's craziest/quirkiest newspaper.

I arrived with the threat of Category 1 Cyclone Alessia. It came to almost nothing, and instead provided me with a very cool (for this time of year) beginning to my time in the tropics.

I was welcomed with a hearty meal of baked lasagne and choc-chip biscuits by my housemates (because of it being 'cool' enough at 29 degrees to bake). They are a lovely couple to be married in April and from what I can see fully embody the lovely laidback attitude of the Territorians.

This morning, I had forgotten what time I started. I thought it was 9am, but thought it'd be best to arrive 8.30 just in case. With the offer to be dropped off though, I end up there just before 8. I get let in, and have that awkward moment where I discover it really WAS a 9am start.

***

The day itself was great if not ironic. I covered a plea submission in the NT Supreme Court, found out about fracking in the Territory through a Narrabri-based farmer who had Dubbo connections, and then wrote of a Dubbo-born RAAF commander transferring away from Darwin after 13 years.

I was shown Smith Street Mall by our month-long intern, who joined me for lunch and explained about lots of cool places. I saw a chocolate shop that was oh-so-intriguing. In other food news, I saw an ad for Direct from Greece, which made me laugh and get really excited at the same time. I can buy Ion chocolate! I'm set.

After lunch, we're approached by Japanese travel show hosts. Yes, I had cameras in my face as was asked to appear on a Getaway-type show... until they asked me the question. Something about poles on buildings that channel lightning strikes to avoid damage according to intern Tamara, who came in and saved the day. I was stuck between her heroism and the sweaty melodramatic faces of the two hosts, and there's a good chance I'll look the fool in front of millions in the land of Mt Fuji...

Everyone seemed really nice, which was exactly what you could hope for. It's a multicultural office too, with at least one Thai lady and an Irishman (yes, I get to hear a great Irish accent every day). I found that walking around though, everyone's converged on Darwin which is pretty cool.

My taxi fare home was worth every cent as I had a long-time resident cabbie who told me his stories of becoming involved with a Japanese netball team for the Arafura Games, and how they were too scared to hold baby crocodiles. Gold.

He also reckons a lot of Indigenous Australians here live on a staple dish of rice after it was the big thing in the 1970s. It was so big you'd buy it in huge sacks. What made this funnier later was going to Woolworths for food and finding a sack of basmati rice on the floor in its home aisle.


I can't say I've ever noticed these in a supermarket before...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment