Sunday, July 04, 2010

Dear Diary,

EXPLOOOOSIVE stuff last night, now THAT's what I'm talking about!!! The World Cup has continued to deliver in the finals series with near upsets, actual upsets and plenty of scandal and drama in between. Oh, and Paris Hilton being arrested and then let go over her friend's marijuana possession. Cover-up so Hilton didn't get more jail time - or (shock horror) a bad rep? TOO LATE, she dug her grave looooong ago.

Ok, the important stuff. Had to be out during the Germany vs Argentina game BUT utilised my Mobile TV package and ended up watching plenty of it on my phone. Yes, in a pub. They had no screens so I didn't have a choice. Unfortunately the sound option was cancelled out by the live music but with four of us crowding over a screen with about 80% clarity it still had a tense enough feel. One friend didn't want to know the score, so I obliged his wish... but when we start shouting OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH over Germany's third goal he's looking at us with a mix of envy and curiosity - I simply said 'Go... just go.' We didn't see him for a while.

Saw all the goals so feel proud I had a solid viewing of the game. And seeing Diego Maradona's face on the final whistle was priceless. Was debating staying up straight through until Paraguay vs Spain, but after a trip to Vili's for a Bacon and Cheese Sausage Roll left me with an upset stomach (but to be fair, it was triggered by the alcohol, the food was awesome as always) I needed a lie-down. An hour later, the last QF began.

So I discovered being on about 50 minutes sleep doesn't really work for me. Plus being in a warm, cosy room with my brother asleep kicking his legs around everywhere didn't help. The first half's a slight blur but what happened afterwards makes it irrelevant anyway except to say that it was a good contest in that both teams refused to concede. It was the same for most of the second half, except for the goal obviously. Which came more from luck anyway; any double crossbar hit will startle the defence. The goalie had no choice but to attempt a scramble back but had no chance. And this comes after yet another interesting series of events... that neither team could capitalise on penalties two minutes apart and that Paraguay should've had another crack at their's because the ref missed the Spanish encroachment in the box. Ended up sleeping in after going back to bed: with the 50 minutes before, hours of sleep: 5h50m.

Quite frankly, it was a scrape. After hearing so much about how Spain were meant to be the hot favourites, from what I've seen they haven't impressed. Even in this game against an impressive South American nation they just don't appear like a team deserving of the prize. As much as I hate to say it, I think Germany will take this out. They'll thump Spain (and while the Argentina pounding make the Socceroos look pretty good this'll look even better) and meet Uruguay in the final - haven't seen much of the Oranje crew but again, not overly impressed.

I'll miss it tonight. But the void's filled with the only game of Wimbledon I'll see in 2010 - the Men's Final. Eeeexcellent. I feel bad not having watched any tennis. But what's a girl to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment