Friday, March 30, 2012

I thought I would be cheeky and incorporate part of the New Zealand series into my Friday night shoe blog. Did you see the first entry of how I tested my limits? You should.

This week's calendar shoe of choice first of all. There was the Eiffel Tower first some weeks ago and now they've tarred the reputation of that other European monument (oh fine, the UK's separate if you're PC about it) - Big Ben. WHY is it necessary to put a structure in the heel of a shoe? To be frank, it's not. It's sacrilege.


***

To NZ now, and I saw a pair of shoes from a cute Asian store in Auckland which took my fancy. With all intentions to go back if I had enough money I never did. They were closed-toe wedges, checkered pattern in colours of grey, bottle green and mauve in a felt-like material, very wintery. Do regret not at least trying them on.

I didn't really try shoes on much while over there. And I realised only when returning to Sydney that I had failed, for the first time, to buy shoes from overseas. Compared to Europe trip #2 I felt like a failure.

But I bought plenty of clothes nonetheless, seeing as Australians effectively have a 25 per cent discount with the handy exchange rate. I began to splurge when I got to Wellington and got sucked in to the amazing vintage stores that rock the capital. I was blown away.

And so to segue into: the NZ purchases! Oh and Australian purchases too, they're just as important. Bum bum buuuuuum (dramatic drum roll)...


All local prices.
NZ: pink mohair handmade knitted jumper - $45, grey fitted mid-length coat - $35 (same store), Reiss flowy patterned skirt - $12, Paper Bag Princess. All Wellington.
Australia: orange/blue checked long-sleeve winter top - $15, camel woolen shorts - $45, queen justine vintage. Both Bondi Markets.


NZ: Chic A Booti tights - $10, Valleygirl, pink/blue 90s tie-up collared tank top - $10, Mighty Mighty vintage, Paper Scissors black 'Dracula' long-sleeved dress - $19.95, Temt. All Wellington. Cotton On bikini top and bottoms - $5, $5 (Auckland).
Australia: Zimmerman silk floral frilled collar top - $25, Some Like It Hot (Melbourne).

The chocolates are for another time.

NZ: MNG Suit pink woolen button cardigan - $6, River Island stars and stripes scarf - free. Both Paper Bag Princess, Wellington.
Australia: Shava Dress Indian print pleated dress - $15(Bondi Markets), Tokito cream and black lace dress top - $30, Ruby Rose for milkandhoney tiedye casual dress - $40 from $119. Both The Basement, Myer Melbourne.



NZ: two-for-one sunnies - $25, Pagani (Christchurch), stud earrings - $4.95 (Queenstown Mall), plastic Tikis - $1.20 (Rotorua).

Moral of the story: I couldn't resist Wellington's vintage charm. I may not have bought shoes but there are other ways to spoil yourself. I'll do a Europe and buy bigger on shoes for NZ trip #2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment