Thursday, March 29, 2012

I've decided to write a small series of blogs about my two weeks in NZ and why it was so freakin' amazing. The first topic is a pretty obvious one.

I wanted to scare the pants off myself.

Okay, so maybe not that dramatic. But I'd set my sights on doing a skydive in Queenstown, as a follow-up to July 2010's first dive in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland.



I'd heard while still on the North Island that doing it over Lake Taupo is better and cheaper, but that wasn't part of the itinerary so had to give it a miss.

Hanging out for Queenstown, I got there with such excitement. I got off the plane and thought I was in the Swiss Alps or Austria all over again. Salzburg more particularly as I also flew in there at the time (2011).

I got to my hostel, put the baggage in storage, then went straight to the travel desk. There was a skydive group going in fifteen minutes and clouds emerging meant it could be my only chance for the day. With rain forecast for the next day I didn't take my chances.

While Switzerland was 12,000ft out of a helicopter (special, yes) I chose 9,000 this time. Partly for difference, partly for affordability to also get the photos. Not a cheap exercise. I was the only one to get photos out of eight, which I thought really weird.

But as you can see, totally worth it.



I was calm, I had trouble breathing properly with all the wind during the freefall as with the first time, but it was sweet. Exactly as it should've been. Excellent.

What I DIDN'T see coming was my decision on day two. Enticed by March's offer of 'do a tandem swing, get one free' I was accompanied by new friend Laura and we went to swing across Shotover Canyon.



Swing #1 was okay. Talked shit a lot to calm any nerves because they suspended us so freakin' long it was ridiculous. But it was fun and a great experience with Laura.

Then it was time to go solo.

Choosing a forward jump, I thought I was harnessed from the top and then realised there was still the element of jumping off a cliff. It nearly didn't end well.



I was helped off in the end, and I have no shame. This was still a HUGE step for me because while skydives don't scare me, this whole flinging yourself off a cliff by yourself does. I screamed that canyon DOWN.



Moral of the story: Queenstown rules for making crazy dares look awesome and living up to that. I tested myself and won. I keep thinking about where I'm going to do my next skydive at least. After all, I do need to get the breathing thing under control :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment