Monday, November 05, 2012

Before I got to really explore Broken Hill, I chose to pre-book a day trip out to Mutawintji National Park through Tri-State Safaris to see 40,000-year-old Aboriginal engravings within a natural habitat.

On pick-up, I was offered the chance to sit up front with the tour guide or in the back with everyone else (all the oldies, because unfortunately no-one my age does these sorts of tours). A bit surprised at my guide's offer but I sat in the back because seniors can sometimes be the most curious travellers. I certainly had a sprightly bunch that day!

We had tea and cake in a dry creek bed, held a shingleback lizard on the middle of the dusty road, and saw some amazing Aboriginal engravings and hand stencils.

I really got a lot out of this day, learning from guide Mark about some of the customs Aboriginal groups follow in their youth and entering adulthood.



 
I can't believe I held a lizard!
 
 
Mark was awesome. He's from the land and knew his stuff.
 
We were first told a Dreamtime story detailing a punishment from God.
 
 
Part of Aboriginal initiation ceremonies, these could be a couple of hundred
years old.
 


See the emu? Controversially dated as possibly more than 50,000 years old.



OK, this was back in Broken Hill, but somewhere inaccessible
without Mark and his trusty driving.
This is the sixth post of the On the road to nowhere series. Missed the last one? Catch up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment