Friday, June 14, 2013

Thigh gap? Hell no.

Today I saw something on my Facebook feed that made me fair ill...


This was on the page of a group called Eat Well Live Well, with the caption: "The Thigh Gap - The 2 Tricks She Discovered To Get It".

Uh, WHAT THE FUCK?

Sorry, I'm just really angry. Love her outfit, watch included, but the fact that a site promoting healthy wellbeing chooses to print this stuff?! What is this even ABOUT?

I had to comment along with the 1200 others, the majority of whom were also fairly outraged. Even writing this, I'm still queasy.

If she's naturally like this, OK, she's just quite skinny and that's how she is. And that's fine.

But to tell women they should aspire to have this is wrong on so many levels. You only had to read the responses to realise if it didn't immediately click on seeing the photo.

The best response was from Brooke de Regt: "Omg look at the sexy thigh gap on that girl!" -Said no guy. Ever.

Having heard about the thigh gap thing previously, I had baulked at the idea. Seeing this today, in a week where the Prime Minister is being scrutinised on so many gender-related levels, just suggests nothing's changed and women will even criticise women to the point of extreme insanity.

Women need to stop being victimised by one another on, among many other things, such trivial body issues. There are so many other ways we can be healthy. I'm not overweight, but I'll still keep my thigh no-gap and be perfectly OK with that.

***
All you need in order to have total happiness, fulfillment, and love in your life you already have right now, whoever you are, wherever you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment