Monday, June 21, 2010

World Cup Diary: Night Ten

Dear Diary,

I've found my groove again. Small sacrifices are necessary for the bigger picture. But I still don't have the best knack of choosing the best game of the three to focus on watching, which is frustrating. Take last night: out of Paraguay vs Slovakia, Italy vs New Zealand and Brazil vs Ivory Coast I picked the latter. I thought it was a no-brainer - six-time champs against a top African team led by Chelsea's Didier Drogba... but my doubts got to me when I awoke from my slumber at 4am, finding two texts from Penny mentioning how awesome it was that Italy and NZ drew. I couldn't fathom this at 4am. I still can't fathom it now. THEY DREW??? 1-ALL?? Wow, so New Zealand are the surprise packet of the tournament so far, holding the reigning champions and a decent European side to draws. It's astounding - THEY'RE DOING BETTER THAN AUSTRALIA. There, I said it. And I'm actually annoyed that I haven't really seen them play properly. Therefore making the game vs Paraguay my must watch.

So the Brazil-Ivory Coast game was still good. Great plays by the Brazilians, especially leading to that first goal by Luis Fabiano. Genius. But Drogba didn't go unheard of, which is a relief for I.C. I'm sure. Loved that the Brazilian defenders missed him completely and couldn't do anything but stand there gaping. It's funny to watch.

I also discovered I love saying Cote d'Ivoire. If I was a commentator I'd always say that in a put-on husky voice with my newly learned French accent: 'Cote d'Ivoooooire...' Very intriguing.

Hours of sleep: 5. Had brekky before it ended and got ready for work just after it finished. Didn't fall asleep - because I left the heater off. Small sacrifices = bigger picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment