Saturday, August 16, 2014

Saturday soundtrack

It was a stay-at-home day today, which was needed. I listened to a real mix of stuff as I did my housework and small DIY projects, most of which I hadn't heard for a while. Jay-Z/Kanye West collaboration Watch The Throne (which is still epic), Kimbra's Vows, a bit of Arctic Monkeys, Josh Pyke...

But there are a couple of individual songs that stuck with me today.



This was the biggest. I'd forgotten how GOOD this song still is. Connie Mitchell (whose voice has to be close to the world's most underrated) singing about confusion and alternate universes. From 16 days to 16 weeks the emotion remains one-sided. Gosh, how so many of us have been there.

The lyrics are just spot on.

I'm just like you/Don't know what to do/I'm caught here in the middle of a life/I can't leave but I want to

I just want to get your attention/But I know that you're looking away/16 weeks since you left my life I'm still looking for you

And the way she sings the closing part is haunting... I wonder, wonder, wonder what you're doing, where you are/I wonder, wonder, wonder what we could've been

Sneaky Sound System are so good. And Miss Connie rocks it on stage- seeing her up close when I lived in Dubbo I was amazed. They need to bring out new material pronto.



I haven't really caught onto the whole Iggy Azalea bandwagon yet, only having really heard Black Widow on constant repeat on the radio, and just before a pre-Fancy song called My World, which is awesome. Looking forward to discovering her other stuff - doing Australia proud, clearly, and she be havin' better beats than the horrible Nicki Minaj any day.

As for this song, loving the Kill Bill homage in the film clip. And the lyric I'm gonna love ya/Until you hate me is gold.

That and the chorus of G.R.L's Ugly Heart have been in my head for some time now: Okay you're pretty/Your face is a work of art/Your smile could light up New York City after dark...

There's really catchy, girl power-friendly stuff on the radio right now isn't there? Love it.

On a final note, listening to Snow Patrol's Eyes Open album among all this other music today reminded me of how good Make This Go On Forever is. Not that the whole album isn't good, but this song is arguably the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment