Friday, August 01, 2014

When songs disappoint



I was listening to a mix of songs on my computer one night, which included Delta Goodrem's first album. It made me think of how huge Innocent Eyes was when released - and how much it impacted on people. I know one of my friends listened to it every day after school for a long time, and it still doesn't surprise me. It's quite a beautiful pop album, very raw in a way. I turned 14 that year, and Goodrem was a teenager herself having written the songs - so it was extremely relatable to a lot of her fans.

A personal favourite still is Will You Fall For Me, a simple song about unrequited feelings. I thought to look up a live version on YouTube - and then found she had re-recorded it last year as part of a 10th anniversary release which I had no idea about.

And I didn't like it.

Apparently this came out in November 2013...
She had changed the arrangement a bit, and it sounded too mature for what it should be. Like, Celine Dion mature - which means not in a good way. I think the appeal of this particular song is that it has more of that innocence attached to it. But that does not mean you should rework it with a children's choir in the chorus.

It just reminded me of one other time when I was really disappointed by a different version of a song. Avril Lavigne performed I'm With You on Rove Live when she was really big, and I was scarred by that live version for a while. Although it's still a good song, she managed to rip a small piece of its soul with that performance.

Do you have a song you've had ruined by a different version? Or one that's been made better remixed or reworked by someone else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment