Monday, December 10, 2012

ACA's prank call interview

I have to make a comment on the A Current Affair interview with the 2DayFM DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian.

Did anyone else think that they were choosing their words a little TOO carefully? Or even not being expressive enough?

As a journalist, I'm on their side - prank calls are not uncommon and I don't believe for a second that the one call was the only reason for Jacintha Saldanha's death. There's much more that goes on within a person before they choose to end their own life.

But watching that, with full discretion on the conditions from ACA well presented may I add, I didn't really believe all of what they were saying. Well, not so much that, it's just that they skirted Tracy Grimshaw's questions.

Photo from AdelaideNow

They're obviously under legal advice, and I get that, I understand in part how that works. But Tracy was clear in her questions - what harm will it do now if they had actually said whose idea it was? They don't know anything about the process to get a segment on air? And why beat around the subject when asked if they thought they'd scored a coup after the call?

Of course they freakin' did. They would've been jumping for joy in the studio.

I just think this has been spun so far out of control, particularly by the British media - who themselves are at one of their lowest points with the Leveson Inquiry (hel-lo News of the World), so can't really talk.

There was no malice in this, and for these guys to be distraught in such a way is really unsettling to see. I'm glad they had the courage to front up to the media because it would've been so hard, and it's clear they are genuinely distraught.

Unfortunately, I just think it didn't shed much light elsewhere on the situation. Especially if Southern Cross Austereo are keeping them tight-lipped for fear of a lawsuit.

What did you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment