Thursday, July 25, 2013

Now that I'm 24, so therefore a little bit older and a little bit wiser, I've been thinking about a few things. Namely my acceptance of going through periods of self-pity.

The severity of these periods do vary from instance to instance and between individuals. But it is something just about everyone experiences.

Thinking about it in hindsight, I sometimes hate myself for it. I don't want to feel like I've stuffed up, or that no one cares. Though this happens, it's also important to think in hindsight that it's just how we're made.

Photo: 8tracks.com

Often this self-pity can centre around the home or workplace. This came to my attention when reading about how a study confirmed that, on average, one spends 14 hours per day trying to figure out how to "take sweet revenge" on people.

Yes, you read that right. We spend 80 per cent of our time awake plotting against others. In hindsight, you would surely hate yourself for that (there's so many other things to think about!), but it's just how our brains work to make ourselves feel better. I find it, and the article, rather hilarious - I have certainly been there.

A big case of self-pity (that I did, and do still, relate to) was a Generation Y journalist's rant - that led to job offers. It rubbed off on me - I think the knowledge that she got recognised for having a whinge put me in a bit of a dark place that particular morning. Seriously, who does that happen to? I eventually pulled myself together though and started focusing on the rest of my day.

That's when the reality of reality sunk in and I remembered that nothing comes without hard work.

***
Enlightened people have perfect love in them just like everyone else does; the only difference is that they have nothing else in them.
Why?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment