Monday, July 20, 2009

Nelly Furtado put it so well! I'm going to try and condense this into the shortest nutshell possible so it's not too much of a windy bore.

So I'm home now, still awake after a long day. My weekend was awesome and I can't believe my Mt Gambier trip is all over. I was slack writing last night because there wasn't enough time! However, I did the following:

Went to the community markets they hold every Saturday morning... bought a 'lucky rock' for $1 (!) but was shattered that the stall I would've spent a fortune at was closed. It had a selection of 300+ movie posters and one of Charlie Chaplin's 'City Lights' was displayed. Was practically in tears. Total jip. Mel took me to their main op shop and was heavily tempted to buy a dress but stopped myself. Discovered I was on the hunt for a beanie (to watch the hockey later on) and Mel found a vodka Cruiser one that was so classy. Er, not. Bought Mel a Wicker Bear collectable to add to her collection from an antique store, bought myself my souvenir pin (yay!), and then there was the Cave Gardens...

Mt Gambier has numerous sinkholes, this one in the middle of the town. A real shame that someone had dumped a rubbish bin off the lookout, it's such a beautiful form of nature. These male tourists with kids were also there but wasn't really paying attention to them until the Scottish accent asks me where I go after I die. Uh, what? I thought you were mocking preachers when you gave Mel the pamphlet. Got to be kidding me. Said I hope there's an upstairs, gives me the pamphlet too and we skidaddle right outta there. How uncomfortable.

See Mel's bridal dress, no time to try it on because a chick Mel happens to know was being helped and gave us daggers... must've heard Mel saying she'd hate to be a pregnant bride. As I found out, that's the Mount for ya. Met fellow bridesmaid Petra for the first time with her bf, 4 of us went shopping in 'the mall' (their Centro) and I found a beanie! Well, one of the cool hat-beanies from Just Jeans, it's awesome. Lunch was at Sorrento's, chicken risotto = amazing. Great great food.

Other sights included the Centenary Tower (but only the base, it was raining so we couldn't make the trek up for the view), Valley Lake and surrounds (in which we were inside a VOLCANO!). Mel was the most knowledgable tour guide, she told me about the lava rocks, the lake, the histories, it was so great. Even personal stuff like her schools kept me occupied. Sat night was James' hockey game - WestPort vs Redbacks (in which came his first goal in 3 years - to say both he and us went nuts was an understatement). Quite fun although we were in the minority of supporters and the score was 3-3. Would like to see more hockey. Found out the whole Kelly family's played for West at some point, it's in the blood!

Ended the day losing my American Pie virginity. Not enlightened or proud but now I don't have to face people who can't believe I haven't seen such a generic film. Thought it'd be funnier - Sex Drive was hilarious. I thought AP started the trend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment