Saturday, July 18, 2009

All over red rover

I'm done. That's it. And I happen to be really sad about it. Last day at Win today was filled with excitement, gossip and major last-minute drama.


The rest of yesterday proved quite insightful. Said my thanks to Stuart coz he wasn't there today, he specifically said I was 'refreshing' because the 2nd yr Melbourne journo student was a disaster - had no idea and didn't want to be there. On the other hand I structure stories and handle myself well and he was impressed. Excellent. Grey's finale was SO sad, still managed to cry although I knew what was happening, but that was balanced by the hilarity of my host family who are very entertaining.


Last night's minimum was -1 degrees. So waking up to 2 degree cold and ice on Mel's car was to be expected. Get to the newsroom and newsreader Sharny is acting Chief of Staff. Talk about a lot on your plate. She also did three stories for the day... MY story was on the Blue Lake BMX Club who have 16 ppl going to the World Champs, which are being held in Adelaide next week. It was pretty neat, I spoke to a guy in his 30s and 2 11 yo girls - most of them are kids. Did a really cool stand-up with the bikes whizzing past me on the track bumps and got a decent story. Sharny didn't change any of my structure and was impressed with how I work independently. I was repeatedly told how impressive I was, surprised my ego didn't go into overdrive. Mel and I have been the best of the lot so far! But it's a good thing, means if I keep in touch I won't be such a pain in being persistent for a job.


Got my DVD with the stories on it so I'm pretty chuffed. But my goodbyes to a few of the crew were a bit awkward because the bulletin was going to air with fear of a possible lawsuit. One story had a supposedly defamatory shot but the whole bulletin would've had to be pulled if it had to be edited. So major drama. In the middle of my day was lunch (hot dog w/cheese and a dim sim for $3 a steal) and another wander past the Blue Lake where I met a solo Brazilian traveller. Took a photo for him. He was friendly. On my walk back a guy was scrubbing the golden arches that were spray painted on the footpath. Yes, I'm talking the Maccas logo here. My day ended with meeting some of Mel's extended family over dinner and a broken vodka bottle...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment