Friday, April 19, 2013

The landscape of today's ARIA charts (for those outside Australia our national music charts) has changed dramatically from the dominance of the Spice Girls and Britney Spears.

More and more potential one-hit wonders are bursting onto the scene, and those with seeming longevity are either churning out hits to an inconceivable extreme or waning in terms of quality content.

The pop scene has well and truly changed since I was seriously in the loop.

Last week I decided to look up the ARIA charts and see how many songs I knew. The list has since changed but I'm sticking with what I researched.

  
1(2) Let Her Go - Passenger (INE)
For all the accolades and countries its topped, I'd never heard this song before in my life. Honestly. But it's quite beautiful, catchy in a good melodic way. Like.

2(1) Can't Hold Us - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton (MACK)
I HAD heard this before and knew who actually sung it. And I like this song too, very up-tempo and my style.
3(4) Thank You - MKTO (COL/SME)
I'd never heard this before, and I've never heard of MKTO. And I don't want to again. Couldn't last a minute of the song.

4(3) Just Give Me A Reason - P!nk feat. Nate Ruess (RCA/SME)
I'd only heard bits and pieces of this song, but to hear it in full was nice. I do like it - but I hate the fact it's the Fun. lead singer that comprises the male half. His voice does suit the song but I reeeeally don't like the few songs of theirs I've heard. Anyway, I thought the film clip was pretty good too.

hdmaza.com
5(5) Stay - Rihanna feat. Mikky Ekko (DEF/UMA)
What's with the duets? The girls are strong on their own! Well, in my personal opinion not so much recently in terms of material... having said that, I do rather like this song. It's so raw from Rihanna, and I love that Mikky Ekko was an unknown and she was cool with that.
 
6(7) Hey Porsche - Nelly (REP/UMA)
Never heard this before the scoping. And would rather not again. Nelly has always been on the borderline of being a parody of himself I think, and this is his ridiculous end. Horrible. And as a radio-friendly rapper is better than this.

7(6) Impossible - James Arthur (SYCO/SME)
Yes, I've heard this song. And it's nice. We're really digging guys with soulful voices right now hey? Do shows like The Voice help with that? I wouldn't know...
 
8(9) Feel This Moment - Pitbull (RCA/SME)
Oh hello Pitbull. I like you. And I actually recognised that you sampled Take On Me. But only having heard this song a couple of times, and being with Christina Aguilera, I'm not convinced yet.
 
9(10) I Need Your Love - Calvin Harris feat. Ellie Goulding (COL/SME)
And we finally see a proper dance track. Don't mind this, I love Ellie's voice. Slowly growing on me.

10(8) I Could Be The One - Avicii vs. Nicky Romero (UNI/UMA)
Aaaaaahhh. Some more dance. Now this is more like it. Love. And the film clip was pretty car-crash (couldn't look away although you knew shit was going down).

***
Life presents itself to you and asks nothing of you. You can take life and swim deliriously through it, or you can fight it. But when you elect to spend your time fighting it, you can't use the same time to enjoy it.

Each problem is an opportunity in disguise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment