Tuesday, April 02, 2013

You're always alone, but you're only lonely if you don't like the person you're alone with.
 
You have to risk some feelings of insecurity if you're ever going to learn to walk a tightrope, water-ski, become a writer, start a new business, try out a new recipe, or do anything that requires learning.
 
The second of those affirmations is what tonight's blog addresses. I would say I feel slight insecurity at the moment - but so inspired at the same time! A part of that is because of an amazing language blog I stumbled across last week from a young guy who speaks 11 languages.
 

I'm learning Greek. For real.
 
I decided to take an active stand. I've been saying to people about how I want to do lessons to improve my fluency since returning from Europe - the first time - and various obstacles have stopped me from pursuing it. I had a Lonely Planet audio CD that was only phrases with no explanation, and I found on my road trip home that it wasn't really helpful.
 
However, this one is great. And explaining the gaps that I need to fill in speaking the language well.
 
 
But what's this? Portuguese too?!
 
This was a bit indulgent, but I found it all on sale while I was away over the Easter break... it's forward planning. The idea is that I'll begin learning some Portugese early next year ahead of my planned trip to Brazil (and more of Latin America) for the World Cup. That's still the plan for 2014 at this stage... and it's still too early to book anything, but having taken all of June off work, the wheels have been set in motion.
 
Though, with all of this plus my ongoing shorthand practice (still working on my speeds)... is this is too ambitious?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment