Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Yesterday I was scared to go in front of my laptop and do anything. Tonight still a little bit.

But I'm writing this blog anyway, as a show of defiance for anyone who might be RATting me.

RATting me?

Yeah, that's right, people using Remote Administration Tools. If you didn't see the article on the Sydney Morning Herald website or elsewhere, read it. It explains how one Aussie teenager discovered that anyone anywhere using a laptop can be hacked to the point where everything you write can be read.

And steal your virtual currency. Booooo.

While that has no relevance to many people (cough, most of the world), it's worse if you have a webcam - and you don't even have to have it on. Literally all you need is the screen to be pointing at something. As this RATter found out...

An image uploaded to a hacking forum showing a woman picking her nose as seen through her webcam.

Not a great look.

I jumped in front of the computer after soccer training, popped the internet on... and then realised I wasn't wearing as much as I'd like knowing I could be watched. To say I rushed to rug up would not be an understatement.

I feel violated... in cyberspace.

Lesson learned. From now on the most I'll be doing to embarrass myself is speak some Greek aloud while listening to the audio CDs.

***
The "un" in unconditional means not judging. (I guess you can't judge this woman. She had no idea her face would be a potential online sensation.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment