Tuesday, December 22, 2009

TINAB: Days 14-18

Last Monday (14-12) was a day off (as always, because of afternoon commitments on a certain radio station...), and with a Christmas party to look forward to I decided - actually no, I was coerced into doing it - to bake a cake. From scratch. Me, cook. Now for those who don't know me that well, cooking's never been my forte. Burnt melted butter in high school Home Ec once and never recovered. So for me, anything past grilling and microwaving is a big deal.
I was up for the challenge. Looking through a cake cookbook, I settled on the first (and safest) recipe: a basic Victorian sponge cake. Even I could handle that. Had a few minor setbacks while mixing, and I shouldn't have lined the tin with paper on the sides so much - but I stuck to the recipe and it looked... edible at least. But when I decorated it it looked quite amazing for my standards. It was a hit with the girls and the final product before consumption is my photographic choice for the day. To say I was proud of myself is an understatement.

Unfortunately the group task was a no-go. But signs for it happening eventually are positive!


Tuesday was a quiet day - missed out on a work shift and didn't venture out of the house until 8:30 to go to The Ed. Which had a line AGAIN (so not bothering anymore). Ended up at Cocolat on Rundle:


But during this day at home I thought I'd actually get something else written in the book. Or stuck. Pages 65-66 have a container to transport an object of my choosing; in the form of a metal case, it's defined by them is: 'an object that can be used to hold or transport something'. So to have something smaller than TINAB itself, I stuck a receipt from a boutique in Surfers Paradise in there so I remember the address of the place for my next visit. Which is hopefully soon; it was on the 13-12 last year that I returned from the most fantabulous and perspective-changing Goldy trip ever.
Then I jumped to pages 109-110, which say: This is an excerpt from another book. 1: Pull a book off your bookshelf. 2: Open it at a random page. 3: Write the first sentence you see here. Because I was thinking about possible travel ideas that included Amsterdam I had an urge to grab The Diary of Anne Frank (btw, if you've never read it shame on you). Page 190 had the start of a diary entry as follows:

Dear Kitty,
I was upstairs this morning, since I promised Mrs van D. I'd read her some of my stories.

I really want to read it again.

Day 16 saw me go to the Sherlock Holmes preview screening (check out my review, up on the CPR site now), then have travel talks with the girls. Have worked out a rough itinerary and now need to go to a travel agent! Yay!

Day 17 (Thurs): really interesting. Had my ABC Tour Guides End of Year function and decided to go on a tour of the Adelaide Oval. We went INSIDE the century-old scoreboard. I actually felt honoured. They still use everything old-school, nothing hugely technical, and between two and eight people work in there at any given time. The record to change the info around between a test innings is I think six minutes or something. For hard labour across four floors, incredible...

My photo however was from the final hurrah. The guide (ironic that it was us taking a tour haha) LET US ON THE TURF. Hardly had enough time to take it in but I feel enormously privileged. Hence this image:


And day 18 to finish the working week had another 21st, this time the beautiful Claire who I've known since primary school and bonded with through karate (yes that's right, we're black belts hah!). So although the party also included some crazy dance moves and the revelation that Rosh loves Love Shack almost as much as me, the photo is a tame one with me and the birthday girl.

COUNT:
Pages in progress: 62
Pages completed: 1, 8-9, 7, 65-66, 88, 109-110, 124, 192
Pages completed by others: 7 (Spratt, 1-12-09)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment