Thursday, December 08, 2011

Food, my glorious food

Yes, I know, I have a slight obsession with the stuff. I love eating it, smelling it, and heck, just looking at it. But anyone who listened to me on Fresh before leaving Adelaide will know I was petrified about the fact I had to learn how to cook. Ab-so-lute-ly petrified. Not cleaning (although using a washing machine is surprisingly still an art to be crafted), not living by myself - or living so far away from everyone I know for that matter, but cooking.

But since the move I've really found an appreciation for it.

Living by myself I couldn't rely on anyone else, and I couldn't stand the thought of having Subway or sandwiches every night. So armed with plenty of cookbooks that were great presents, I started browsing to suss what I could be capable of. And it wasn't much. But a lot of recipes really aren't difficult once you have a go of the style of cooking once (like baking, although my tuna bake failed a bit).


Did I think I could ever cook salmon with potatoes and aioli and wilted spinach? Hell no! Would I ever EAT salmon at home? HELL NO! But did I totally love this meal? Hellllll YES.

That's the thing - I love different cultural foods etc, but I would hardly eat them in the family house. And now I find myself delving further...




I was particularly proud of this sang choy bao from last week. When would I ever eat something like this, even out? I have no idea what to order when going to any Asian restaurant, just for lack of not eating it a lot growing up. But I'm getting a better idea of what's around now because of my personal exploration. I don't even eat pasta all that much now. And I miss it a little to be honest. Truthfully though, it's because there's different varieties I'm basing my meals on. Some vegetarian, and some fish in particular which is new to the personal diet. It's all exploration baby!


What's the meal you've been most proud of making? Or one you so desperately tried to make but failed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment