Sunday, December 04, 2011

I had my first roadtrip with company yesterday (Saturday) when I drove to Narromine with fellow newbie sub-editors Orlaith (from Ireland) and Jess (NSW). Now, Narromine is only 30 minutes away but on the highway it still feels like it takes a while. Once the nice drive leads you into what is an industrial entrance with the silos(?? still getting some lingo), you eventually hit the main street which is lovely, lined with palm trees and a an interesting statue of a baker.

A couple of nice boutique/giftware shops were trading (luckily, otherwise the trip would've been quite pointless), and we satisfied our hunger with some fried grub at the local pub. The childhood home of Glenn McGrath, we honoured his great contribution to cricket by admiring the statue there in his honour (and explained to Orlaith the 'ooh aah' phrase for future reference), before heading to something we stumbled across on the Information board. The Andonbel Alpaca Farm and Coffee Shop - we had drinks in a train carriage.


You can tell how excited I was by forcing the girls into a photo! It was the most interesting concept you could ever think of in a town of Narromine's size (almost 4,000 I think). You looked out the window and it was farmland. We didn't get up close and personal with the alpacas in the end, but I had a mean strawberry milkshake. The service was incredibly friendly, I found an alpaca pin that I'll make part of the travel collection, and the Mars Bar cheesecake is why I will be going back. It looked incredible and life won't be complete until I try it. The girls said it's a bit far to make our local hangout... half an hour, half a schmour.



We saw a mother and two kids cruising down the road in a carriage pulled by a pony as we made our way back through Narromine. A pony. I actually slowed down the car on a road you could drive at 90km/h to get a better look as they went past. We were all too excited to get a photo in time though!

I still can't believe how cool that coffee shop was. Where's the coolest place you've ever eaten or had a coffee? Or do I win?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment