Monday, December 12, 2011

Dragon boating hurts a bit.

Part of the Daily Liberal experience so far has managed to include a dragon boating competition. Where the local club decided to get businesses around town involved, going head-to-head. To the death.

We were hoping with a print showdown with the Dubbo Photo News but they lost while we had a bye so that was a bit disappointing. But we were up against the formidable opponents from Macquarie Alarms so knew we were in for a challenge.

There were fears no-one would show. I managed to miss the turnoff and briefly get lost (I know, think it was my first real head-scratcher since being here, had to happen sometime). It had been rain-delayed for a week so tension was high. But most of us got there and we kitted up.

My battle scar one week on. Ouch!
SO glad half the club was in that boat with us, otherwise I know I would've been seeing murky brown. Those who know me realise I'm not the most confident with watersports, or being in deep water really. But once I got the technique right with the paddle, it was kinda fun. Stressful because you really have to keep in time, but good to be part of a team.

And then there was the race. Only stretching over maybe 200m or so, it felt like FOREVER. You don't even look up because you're going so hard. And I don't even think we were at the club people's 70 per cent. By this point my elbow and thumb had been knocked to the bone, my left thigh and bum were sore, but I was still pretty much forced to go full pelt.

We came second! V for victory! But that's not the point. We had to paddle back, and I was pooped. On top of everything else, I could hardly move my arms and could feel the right side of my back overstretched. I swear it's been a week and a half and I've only just recovered.

Man was I relieved to be on that sand (which is totally going to be my great tanning spot for the summer because there's sand and the view is nice, but I don't think I could bring myself to swim in the river). It was nice to see one of Dubbo's main features that way though, when I had a second I tried to take it in!

The Daily Liberal team... V for victory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment