Monday, August 13, 2012

I'm yet to watch the Closing Ceremony, although I'm excited to see the Spice Girls perform in the replay tonight. Not really one for watching concerts on TV (obviously it's not the same as being there) will stick this one out.

So to the home stretch.

Days 12-16

The last few days went by in a total blur. I remember...

We won a few more golds.

Hell yeah we did!



Wow - with my other fave, this is also one of the best photos of the Games.


Two more sailing golds, making the most interesting of trifectas for our country - not least because Channel 9 didn't have enough faith to have their own commentators down there so relied on the BBC, whose coverage I wish I could've tried elsewhere.



The gold we didn't expect in the canoe sprint - which I missed seeing The Sapphires... it was exciting though, that I found out about it and hung out for a replay later on. I saw all the other golds either live or the first replay after.

Steve Hooker and Matthew Mitcham came out to play really late. And crashed early.

Can't say much about this. Mitcham's miss in his signature dive was devastating, and while Hooker made his final it didn't matter because he didn't clear a jump. All the talk and not the walk. Comments made today that Hooker particularly was "a disappointment" I sadly agree with.

***

The coverage still managed to stab me and Australia in the back until the last minute.

Last night:

Channel 9@Channel9
| Volleyball: BRA v RUS moves into a 4th set, NOW on and . Gold medal up for grabs!
 
Stick with it please, a great sport not seen enough on TV!

Approximately 10 minutes later...

Volleyball? Volleyball? 9iiiiiiiiiiiiine, VOLLEYBALL.

Another 10 minutes...

Katina V@Katiinkaa
Are you serious? You tweet about the volleyball and don't proceed to go back to it? What an absolute joke.                

End of story. FAIL. But so too was the story Channel 9 Olympics Coverage Sucks were featured in, turned into a scapegoat for a war between networks.

***

But as all good things (the sports, not how they were shown) come to an end... I'm sad. It's been a great two weeks of competition, and we finished top 10 which is awesome all things considered. I did lose my stamina in the last few nights and had a total of eight hours sleep in my actual bed through these last five days (for crashing on the couch, perhaps unashamedly because I knew Australia wasn't going to win much more).

My life began again today; getting up off my arse and getting to the gym was a pretty gigantic moment. But getting home and seeing more Friends repeats on Gem made me a teeny bit sad I have to wait so long for the next major event.

So I've decided to look into going to Brazil 2014. No, not the Olympics... the other one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment