Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Golden reign for Australia

One got bronze in Athens 2004.

Both got silver in Beijing 2008.


Both got gold in London 2012.



Anna Meares.



Sally Pearson.

How could I NOT talk about the events of this morning? To top off the laser sailing win from the awesome Tom Slingsby late on Monday, the two races I, and the nation, wanted desperately to fall in our favour did.

Meares v Pendleton



I feel like I've missed so much of this epic rivalry in between Olympic and even Commonwealth Games because of the lack of overall coverage for sprint cycling. But while I was disappointed about Meares' keirin loss to the Brit a few nights before, we all knew that it was the sprint that mattered.

For me, and many glued to the Games, this was just about THE race of the tournament. Yes, for some even rivalling Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake in the 100m. The intensity that bounced off these two ended up being as explosive as it deserved to be.

I actually lost my TV signal completely - yes, at 1am for the semis and then again at 2.20am just before the first of the races for gold - and missed the first race that saw Victoria Pendleton relegated. Thank goodness for Twitter. Anyway, I screamed and then started blubbering when Meares won because it was the fierce, tactical final she wanted to play and that Australia had hoped for. And she spoiled the British party.

I'm still in awe, Meares spoke so well in later interviews, great sportsmanship from Pendleton humbled her as well as all of us and she showed her raw emotion. Such an inspiration, to work up through the medals across eight years, to stick it out.

Pearson vs Pearson

Sally wasn't competing against her American rivals as much as she was against herself. For her form, a slightly rocky lead-up to the Olympics had left her more reason to knuckle down and focus. But didn't she give us all a mighty fright? I thought she had it in the bag but as soon as there was a moment of hesitation I definitely doubted.

When she screamed though I'm pretty sure I rivalled her in the decibels.


For me, Dawn Harper, Beijing 2008 gold medallist to Sally's shock silver, was phenomenal here. So ecstatic, as Sally was in reverse four years ago, she gladly embraced Sally, as did bronze medallist Wells. It was just beautiful to watch. And yes, from there to Sally's post-race interview I cried even more.

I'm just so proud of what these two have achieved, not just in these Olympics and standing their ground as the best in their field, but how they got there.



Darlings of our great nation.

***

Days 10-11

To the rest of the recent events, and Karl Stefanovic is clearly not impressed with Steve Hooker and other pole vaulters as I write this for protesting about the continuation of their qualifying. Maybe because it stuffs up his shift?

Disappointing that our women's water polo team's gone. Same with the Hockeyroos. But having already heard we've got a second sailing medal already in the bag, I was lifted even ahead of the ultimate races.

Most impressed with award: Chris Hoy.


So we love to hate the Brits. But you can't hate this guy. He's a champion in every respect and I felt privileged to see him win his last gold and take the stand.

Least impressed with award: The Daily Telegraph


Alright, so this was on Monday, before Slingsby's gold. But I was ashamed to think that News Limited would stoop so low. I mean, we hadn't lost THAT much faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment