Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A story of narration

A story about a TV dilemma where I feel a bit harsh.

I had taped some episodes of the huge documentary series The Story of Film: An Odyssey. It looked awesome, each episode going through a decade or so and presenting different themes and pioneers of cinema.

Put on the first episode.

Within five minutes, I was scrambling to find out who on Earth the narrator was. Turns out he was the creator/director of the show, a Northern Irish film critic.

Mark Cousins
I didn't really know anything about him, but that all sounded great... unfortunately though, HE didn't.

I've never been more irritated by narration in my life.

I got a funny reply after venting on Twitter: he sounded like he was trapped in a suitcase. Fair call - I love a good Irish accent, but unfortunately his didn't work, it was too gentle and he needed to work on his tone.

I'd have to say it was a poor judgement on his part - yes, it's his story, but I couldn't pay attention. It was actually that bad I had to switch off and then ended up deleting what I'd taped.

You can still have creative control and hire a good narrator. Surely the budget wasn't that tight. Such a shame.

***
Being against anything weakens you, while being for something empowers you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment