Sunday, February 03, 2013

I did a story on Dubbo's new nightclub ahead of its opening two weeks ago, and finally got there last week when Australian hip hop group Justice Crew were in town.

Had a great time - they weren't on for long but it was a bit of fun and they were entertaining. The DJ afterwards was also pretty good, a diverse mix of rnb and dance - he even got The Prodigy in there so I was pretty happy with that. The club is pretty spacious and even has a quirky snack van in the smoking area. And it was busy too, which was good to see.

A slight #firstworldproblem with the night though was to do with the crowd on the dancefloor. It looked like a lot of these people had never been to either a club or a gig, let along a gig in a club. There were drinks going everywhere and moshing in a space that only had maybe up to two hundred people. Ridiculous. And really, this was for Justice Crew.

Courtesy Amaroo Hotel (I think)
Worst thing about this was that even the outer parts of the dancefloor were horribly wet and slippery. The glassies weren't cleaning it (if HQ can manage, they could here) and in heels I felt like I was extremely close to a stack that would've left me unconscious...

CASE STUDY: I watched a guy who was having fun and a bit of a crazy drunk dance, right? OK, that's fine. He had a whole cup of beer in one hand... then half a cup... then about a quarter of a cup... he looks at it, gestures to say, "Hey, where'd my beer go?", and then next I look and the cup's gone. He may have taken one sip.

I hate to say this, but I'll put it out there as I see it. It felt like it was a case of country people not knowing how to club. Guess it's just the different crowd... but control your drinks people, it's not that hard! It's not like you don't get drunk people sloshing drinks anywhere else, because you do, but this was pretty excessive for a smaller crowd.

For all of that, it won't deter me from going again should I get the chance. Just hope that it won't be as intense. I want to be able to wear high shoes!

***
A non-doer is very often a critic - that is, someone who sits back watching doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It's easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk and change.

Well by trying this out I was definitely a doer...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment