Saturday, March 30, 2013

No review for this week - we don't go in on Good Friday. I landed tomorrow off too, so a prized 3-day weekend has sweetly come my way!

Instead, I'll go through my (not-so-critical) thoughts on the films I saw at last weekend's Travelling Film Festival as it rolled through Dubbo.

OPENING FILM: The Angels' Share, directed by Ken Loach


I can't say I know Loach's work, but his material shows he's produced a mix of things. This comedy was great fun, concerning Robbie (third from left), who lands himself community service and befriends the pictured group. They become amateur experts in the world of whisky and concoct a plan to get some of the world's best.

It was really entertaining! Just to go in without knowing what to expect is refreshing, and I was engrossed with this. Grab it on DVD when you can - subtitles may just help (I've discovered thick Scottish accents are harder for me to grasp than the Irish).

***

Barbara, directed by Christian Petzold


Barbara (famed German actress Nina Hoss) moves from Berlin to the provinces for work as a doctor in post-war Germany. She's a loner, but that doesn't stop Andre (the most likeable, gorgeous character - just look at him!) from trying to win her heart. She's got other plans though as we discover it's East Germany where they reside and she's one of many wishing to escape west.

There's a lot of cultural subtext that slowly reveals itself, a bit frustratingly to those who wouldn't pick up on things. The decade isn't specified, and it's what seems to be a sheltered world. Scenes are disjointed but it held my interest. An abrupt ending didn't spoil things much. You can see this in at least Palace Cinemas now, it was only released last week.

***

Amour, directed by Michael Haneke


Oh how this film broke my heart...

That kind of says it all. This tale about a couple who deal with the onset of dementia starts to hit you about halfway through. It really creeps along, almost to annoyance, but it's so achingly real. The performances are amazing - but it's something you really don't want to watch because they're such a cute pair and the unstoppable force that tears them apart is hard to bear.

Personal experience with dementia (my grandfather was bedridden for a good 10 years) makes these films even harder for me to sit through. Cue the waterworks. Palme d'Or, Golden Globe and Oscar foreign winner - need I say more? Go. Still in cinemas at anywhere but Dubbo.

***
When you argue for your limitations, all you get are your limitations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment