Friday, March 29, 2013

Kourambiethes.


What an amazing culinary invention. No doubt one of the biggest things I associate with childhood and my maternal grandmother to this day. However, within the family there was also the time when my aunty cooked 1200. That was fun to hear about...

The last couple of trips home have been monumental in relation to kourambiethes fixes. I think I got them on my trip home in September, as I had my car and the large container would've lasted. But then there was (definitely) Christmas time...

On deciding to only take a carry-on bag (no point in spending extra when it's not necessary), I visit yiayia and she gives me a large container once again. I'm laughing saying I can't take it all, and she's telling me to take it on the plane with my handbag. I really couldn't not take any, so with mum later I compromised. I had to.

I fit about 12 into a small round container. And I relished those to the very end.

***

The trip home two weeks ago rolls around. I fly in, go with mum to visit yiayia straight from the airport. She warns me that yiayia was a bit cut about the compromise we would have to make once again.

"Dodika (12)? What do you mean, how am I meant to make just 12?" she had said to mum (or words to that effect).

We get there. The round container emerges, packed to the brim - with 12 of them. Mum said yiayia packed them in as tight as she could. Yiayia hands them to me shaking her head slightly. A perplexed disappointment hung in the air.

I didn't WANT to only take 12.
I HATE that I couldn't take more!

I'm just about to finish the last of them. At least next time will be when mum comes up to visit - with a suitcase. I'm expecting big things.

***
Your joy is divine and so is your suffering. There's so much to be learned from both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment