Monday, June 14, 2010

Dear Diary,

It's 6:31am and I'm feeling awake - but I'm surely in a nightmare. I have to be; the Socceroos can't have just lost 0-4 to Germany...

Maybe I had too much expectation. There was certainly a lot from everyone else though so it wasn't all on me. The line at the Rosemont was crazy and we were lucky to get in after a half-hour wait. No regrets on going out - as my first real 'sport with people' experience, pre-match it was incredible. Drums, plenty of singing - and the place to be with the media, with AdelaideNow and Ten (at least) there with cameras. Could be on Ten tonight thanks to Nick (connections haha).

Watching the Socceroos unravel was heartbreaking. Schwarzer was rattled, and the ref was really off his game (except for dives, he pretty much picked all of those out). TIM CAHILL GOT A RED CARD FOR TRIPPING OVER HIMSELF? REEEEALLY?! It was beyond a joke, and now he's absent from the Ghana clash. Spewing. The first goal was also clearly offside, but we won't go there...

We had six in defense and still couldn't stop the (admittedly pretty good) plays from Germany. They're obviously a better team, but we could've been if Kewell, Kennedy and Bresciano were on. Perhaps Verbeek saw the game as a no-win and wanted to rest them - but what's the frickin' point? EARTH TO PIM: IT'S THE WORLD CUP! Kewell maybe, coming from injury, but not the other two. Why does Jesus never start? I don't get it. The Socceroos were afraid to attack - Cahill was quiet - and the only solid performers were Neill and perhaps Wilkshire. And Garcia (who I don't reckon I've ever watched play before) tried to create scoring ops, but there was no-one up front for support!

Hours of sleep: 3 (and that's WITHOUT watching Serbia v Ghana). Maybe that's why I'm so cranky. No, that's not it. It's that we can do so much better than that and it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard. I think I'm going to drown my sorrows in sleep. And then face the day looking forward to Saturday night's game with Ghana. If we don't win that one... oh man...

3 Comments:

  1. Dr. Kangaroo said...
    Our world cup campaign is finished already mate! Don't wait till Saturday to start drinking and drowning your sorrows. I'm starting right now!
    Katina said...
    Nooooo, I don't want to believe it. Trying to be optimistic... but I've woken up still feeling incredibly sad :'(
    locspoc said...
    i wasn't expecting them to win but i was hoping that they would put up a good fight!

Post a Comment