Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dear Diary,

Again, I've been slack. Night Eleven didn't bring a later night than normal, so felt rather meh about it yesterday. Although it was entertaining. Walk in to see Portugal score their second goal against North Korea and thought 'alright, that makes sense'... keep doing my business, three minutes later another one. Thought 'ok, talk about good timing.' Then as I'm at my laptop every few minutes there's an 'OHHHHHH!!!' and I look to see Portugal scoring yet again.

I thought the Socceroos' loss to Germany was bad. This was annihilation. I felt embarrassed for them (and admittedly also relieved there was a bigger loss than the one involving us). And it was interesting also to see Cristiano Ronaldo score - I honestly don't think I've ever watched a game and seen him get it through. Then I find out it's his first international score in two years. That's a long time between drinks. Or Castrol ads.

Hours of sleep: estimated at 7.5 (but that really sounds wrong). Fell asleep in front of computer and then realised when I woke up I hadn't set my alarm :/

Then last night: Greece vs Argentina. Against all plans I ended up staying at home watching it el solo. What an awesome display by the Greek defence. Now, I prefer an attacking game (in any sport mind you), but the resilience against the strength of the Argentinians for three quarters of the match was incredible. I'd gone into it hoping for a draw and it really looked like we'd get there. Samaras was cutting through the centre backs and was unlucky to score, and on the other end goalie Tzorvas was easily the man of the match. Messi was limited in his fancy footwork, and in a game where all three subs were used on both teams it proved an almost miracle contest. A real shame about the two late goals to send Greece home. They were also hoping Nigeria could beat South Korea but alas only failure.

Hours of sleep: 5.5. Curves opens at 6:30 so pretty much got changed and went straight after the game.

Imagine the possibilities if Samaras was a Socceroo (he WAS born in Melbs after all)... have him up front and have the double whammy, Jesus 1 & 2. That would be an awesome Aussie attack... I've been sad today, knowing that one of my teams are out for this Cup. And very nervous about the others' fate tonight. I'm hoping third time lucky - NO red cards, NO goals conceded. We have the ability to play well against Serbia, and I so dearly hope it shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment