Wednesday, June 16, 2010

World Cup Diary: Night Six

So the first round ended with the games overnight, with my pick of the three games on offer Spain vs Switzerland. The Swiss captain Alexander Frei is out, who I actually remember from four years ago (shame, he's fair good). That's what I'm loving about watching all these games; picking out those I remember from '06 and those I don't recognise. A lot are still around which is good. It bothers me that I don't watch a lot of soccer regularly so it's interesting to refresh yourself on players' strengths after so long.

Ok so to the games: saw last part of Chile vs Honduras - but saw the end of the first half while DRIVING in my car, on an iPhone. How am I excited about an iPhone? Oh how the times have changed; from me being totally against it the whole app/everything else thing I now find myself getting an iTouch as a replacement for my 3rd (or 4th)-gen iPod! Such is life. Anyway, I informed my friend Nav (see 'Navioli' blog) that because she's with Optus she has free live access to all the games. So she tried it, and it worked. And it's a really good picture too. Very clear. Considering the roads were wet it probably wasn't the best idea for me to be looking at the phone half the time - but I was impressed dammit! Meanwhile I've paid $8 for the month to access SBS unlimited on my own phone - but for some reason it won't connect! And it's not just SBS either, other channels are the same. So maybe there's something wrong with my connection :(

Watched most of Spain v Switzerland and was pretty impressed that the Swiss team held the favourites scoreless. Seems they needed Torres for longer than they had him on. Sure, he's been injured, but not on for the whole first half? Oh well, it was surprisingly worth seeing him anxious on the sidelines. And he's cut his hair - therefore looking a whole lot better.

Because of my radio work I'm up early on Thursdays anyway so figured I'd get up for South Africa vs Uruguay at 4. But instead I found myself setting my alarm for normal time and resting on the floor for half an hour. Saw Diego Forlan's amazing goal though, the yells from the commentators made me jolt up... So I watched the majority of all three games, a PB so far. Sleep count: 2.5hrs (uninterrupted, again another PB. Actually proud of this.). I have the entire day off, which is a miracle, but it's not one of rest so I'm going to be knackered. But hey, it's worth it.

I JUST TRIED BLOWING A VUVUZELA!!! That's the opportunity that live radio gives you... and I failed miserably. Jase had one in his shed from years ago and we dubbed today's show 'The Vuvuzela Special'... I actually managed to finally get a sound out of it, so so proud of myself! My South Africa experience is almost complete. Oh, and a small sidenote: a regular customer at Valleygirl comes up to me yesterday and says: 'Saw you on TV the other night!' She said I looked nice... that's reassuring. Greece tonight - I'm going to watch it regardless of how tired I am!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment