Sunday, June 13, 2010

World Cup Diary: Night Two

Dear Diary,

It's 3:10pm Sunday as I write this sentence, reflecting on the fact that Greece are the 'easybeats' of Group B (the commentator's words, not mine) and the huuuuge blunder by England's goalie against the US.

So viewing of Greece vs S.Korea was minimal because I was out - but a 0-1 deficit in the first 20 minutes wasn't a good sign. I get home later to find the 0-2 loss was a result of defensive slips. Disappointing. Saw last 10 minutes of Argentina vs Nigeria though, and Lionel Messi... well, he was unlucky to score. The guy showed so much brilliance (yes, even in just that 10 minute gap) and couldn't convert! It's a classic example of the world's best performing less than standard when playing in their national colours (Thierry Henry is another example if it must be argued).

Two hours of sleep later and I was up for England vs USA at 3:30am. My brother had stayed up and was surprisingly awake until about 5:30. I was surprisingly ok for about the same time. Ok, I lie: I kept 'resting my eyes' throughout. Kicks in the side provided a good incentive for me to do otherwise.

Good game; the US had more possession than I would've thought and the fact that it was a draw astounded me. The goal that England's keeper let through was ridiculous... wasn't behind the ball. It was like watching a train wreck with the various replays - the more intriguing the more you see it. Gerrard's goal was a great showcase of a strong attack and taking the lead four minutes in was actually a surprise. I wanted England to win (right now I feel it's important to pick any side against a particular team, and in 2010 the 'hate team' is the US. No hard feelings...) but I can handle a draw.

Then another 2.5 hours of sleep and I had to get up for the day. Therefore sleep count: 4.5 hours. Went to a movie before - and didn't even get close to dozing off (as some would know, I'm prone to doing that more and more these days). Very proud.

GEARING UP FOR THE SOCCEROOS AT 3:30AM TONIGHT!!! Scarf's ready to go, rounding up the crew and heading out to watch it amongst the people. Thank goodness tomorrow's a public holiday, we're allll gonna need it :D

2 Comments:

  1. Sylvia said...
    I set out to support the US. They seemed the underdogs and I thought it would be nice for them to do well, especially against England. Less than a minute in I realised: I am supporting England. No logical reason but I just couldn't bring myself to barrack for the US. (On a side note I am now actively not supporting them because I've learnt they are our main competition for the 2022 WC.)

    Tonight will be the tough night though, for sleep. I want to watch Serbia v Ghana and then my boyfriend wants to watch the F1 and then it's Australia... looks like no sleep til after that for me. So pumped!
    Katina said...
    Haha I agree, if they're competing for 2022 then there's no chance of them getting our support here!

    I'd like to watch Serbia vs Ghana too but I'd rather be a bit less sleep-deprived for the big one. F1 in between - almighty effort. Enjoy!

Post a Comment