Thursday, October 18, 2012

The parmi debate

I sub-edited a story on what makes a great chicken parma last Friday, and I was annoyed because I call it a chicken parmI. Because parmIgiana is spelt as such so therefore it makes more sense... I've since been told it could be a South Australian thing, but I remain highly discouraged by the country's abbreviation skills.



This story was merely an outsourced opinion piece discussing the elements of the dish, but in my horror at her use of 'parma' I had to try and Google it. What I found was Parma.com.au (yes, there's a fan site). But what redeemed the whole situation for me was their article about everybody's favourite side.

Crimes against chips

While it is one of the corner posts of a solid parmigiana, what would appear to be a simple side dish often leaves much to be desired. It is unfortunate that some venues don't give enough attention to these "minor" details. To help out, parma.com.au have come up with the ten commandments to help make your side a more memorable experience.
  1. Thou shalt not let thy chip become soaked in salad dressing
  2. Thou shalt not serve thy chip under-cooked
  3. Thou shalt not murder thy chip by serving underneath other food stuffs
  4. Thou shalt not serve thy chip unseasoned and unsalted
  5. Thou shalt not cheat on thy chip with a cheap fry immitation
  6. Thou shalt not serve thy chip over-cooked
  7. Thou shalt not use green under matured potatoes to make thy chip
  8. Thou shalt not serve chips from thy bain maree
  9. Thou shalt not covet the chip of thy neighbour
  10. Thou shalt not take the name of thy chip in vain
I was pretty impressed, although imitation is spelt wrong in #5 and there's more spelling/punctuation dramas in #7 and #8. But that was just me at work.

Would you suggest anything else for this list?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment