Thursday, October 25, 2012

White Cliffs is an extraordinary place. Said to be the final frontier before hitting the dust of the 'real' Outback, it's a ghost town like no other.

For 250 people, it feels a lot smaller. But there were still people as I spent a Saturday night and Sunday seeing what it had to offer.

An opal mining town that for some has brought riches and others bankruptcy, I was weirdly drawn to the almost-arid landscape and general peacefulness of it.

The woman at the general store was from Adelaide, who'd moved out there for that reason. She mentioned there wasn't any police (the nearest being at Wilcannia an hour away), and for the most part that there wasn't any trouble. A place without immediate law enforcement...

In short, I loved it. I felt really out of sorts actually leaving although I'd done all there really was to do.

 
A cute greeting into the town. For the record, those two buildings
constitute the main street.
The White Cliffs Underground Motel has a map to help you navigate.
All I needed to know was the bathroom.
 
 

Australia's first solar power station.

Turley's Hill, one of three that constitute the town.


One of the many crooks of Jock's Place, a private residence
and treasure trove of pure junk.

One of the world's most unique views. I found myself in the middle of the area
used for shafts for the opal mining. From above this looks like craters.
This is the third post of the On the road to nowhere series. Missed the last one? Catch up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment