Monday, May 14, 2012

A year ago today, I was in Dusseldorf, Germany, for the final of the Eurovision Song Contest.


How frickin' excited was I to be there? I was FRICKIN' EXCITED.

But I had reason to be. Getting a ticket to the final was confirmation that going to Europe was what I was meant to do.

Before going, I'd had some doubts about whether I was running away from issues back home, namely finding a job since finishing my studies.

For me it was a weeknight about 10pm when tickets went on sale. My first Internet ticket-buying rush and I was nervous (I'm old-skool and line up for tickets when big names come to town).  An hour later, I'm still hitting the same button thinking something's up. Checking on Twitter, I discovered the site had crashed. Thank God. Made a few friends there while we waited actually.

I remember thinking to myself 'If I get this ticket I'm meant to go overseas, no backing out', and when I got through it was exhilarating. Then it locked me out.

It was another half hour or so before I re-entered, went through it in German before realising I could switch to English. But I managed to pick a good ticket, mid-range, paid, all good.


Dusseldorf was the city without a bench. I walked for almost half an hour before I spotted one by the lighthouse and got a look at my golden ticket (Dubbo makes me laugh often because it is the complete opposite). I managed to get accommodation only through a travel agent after Hostelworld had been wiped out by the next day. But while that place just felt dodgy all around, Dusseldorf itself was nice. Visited a great little film museum before noticing the centre pick up with more people as the day drew on.


It was packed.

I'd found a Greek flag in a mad rush, almost got lost as I tried a shortcut to the station, but I got there. And met Aussies, including fellow Greek Nick from Adelaide. We had no mutual friends, which in Adelaide Greek circles could be seen as peculiar.

The show was AMAZING. I had an awesome seat that allowed me to dance away in the aisles. Absolute faves were England's Blue with I Can and Germany's Lena with her attempt at defending the title Taken By A Stranger - both songs rank highly on my favourites list. Winners for Azerbaijan Ell and Nikki with Running Scared were good though too, I wasn't entirely disappointed with that result.

I was lucky because 2011 was a good year. The hosts were well--presented, the songs were actually of a fairly high calibre overall, and the Germans know how to throw a party. Hottest guy award went to Sweden's Eric Saade, worst song was from Italy's Raphael Gualazzi (how it came third we there still don't know, had to be the intrigue factor because Italy were back and in the Big Five), and brightest stage design went to Serbia's Nina with her 60s get-up. Very impressed with the night, especially as the only one for some time not to be in the last week of May.

I would spend the next day in Cologne with my new Adelaide friend avoiding pelting rain through visiting a Lindt museum and hiding out in a cafe. A relaxing Sunday.

Dusseldorf came to life with Eurovision. Their pride to host it was everywhere; Eurovision was all around. Take a look at what I found myself a part of.



In the film museum






Aussie! Greek! From Adelaide!


I DID make friends on Twitter amidst confusion, including Mark







Early rain in Cologne made it so gloomy...

But getting The Candy Man Can from Willy Wonka in my head made it better


*This is also the fifth post in the series My decade of Eurovision. That started here.

 -------

*I have two photos entered in the current Qatar Reflections competition. Please show your support for me by voting for either photo! Short backstory and links here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment