Tuesday, January 17, 2012

While watching sports replays aren't everyone's cup of tea, there are definitely advantages. Some general, and some specific to the given game.

Having followed the Tomic vs Verdasco Australian Open game online while at work (and now with Optus I can get it on the road for free, yew!), it was good to wind down with watching the last two sets.

Even if I knew how it ended.

Because you find out things. You're not watching for the score as much as the other elements. Tennis is a particularly interesting example.

People still call tweets twitters.
   Jim Courier trying to correct Bruce McAvaney was hilarious while still very subtle. People today were tweeting from set three that Tomic could come back...

The tweeters are always right.
  They weren't wrong were they? I particularly liked one tweet (sorry for the lack of source) that wrote they were loving the tequila sunrise outfits of Verdasco and his Spanish ensemble. Great comment. Power to the tweeter.

Things about the players' outfits become more noticeable.
  While I saw the outfit first as a Spanish summer as opposed to the drink (bright with their flag colours), Verdasco's wearing a hat now. Whether he did before I cannot recall, I was always too busy appreciating his face. Which is harder when a cap attempts to cover it.

You appreciate faces in the crowd.
  Many a time there's someone famous in the crowd, or a mysterious partner/friend/relative in a player's box that isn't revealed as a significant person for much longer than you would like. Or just general people in the crowd like in this game, where who I think was an extremely good looking guy was sitting behind Pascal Maria. On a side note, that's a name I appreciate. The coolest name for an umpire ever.

Realising the ad quality has seriously declined = dampener.
  While the Australian Open is back (which is awesome and something I ALWAYS hang out for), I miss the awesome American Express ads with Andy Roddick in his heyday. Nothing could ever top those for this tournament I don't think, too good. We lost out when Amex pulled their major sponsorship.

Jim Courier would have to have the best US accent ever.
I've been on the Courier bandwagon for some time now with some help from my besties, but listening to his voice without having to reeeeally pay attention to the commentary is very manageable. It's not nasal, doesn't have a twang, and he doesn't stutter. Plus he's totally charming so that always works in someone's favour.

I never took advantage when it was closest.
I lived in Adelaide. It can cost you $49 one-way to Melbourne with hand luggage. WHY I never organised to take the time off I don't know. And then when I looked at ticket prices for 2012 (thinking of finally getting there) I moved halfway across the country.

But regardless, I will be going in 2013. I've waited far too long and next year it will be well deserved.

FLASHBACK: this is the last tennis action I saw live (besides the mens Wimbledon final last year, but that was on a screen so technically doesn't count), the inaugural World Tennis Challenge in Adelaide in 2009. We saw Jim Courier in the flesh and watching the oldies play was a lot of fun.





So I thought I'd give you a look at how I experienced Wimbledon 2011. A surprisingly warm day, and while I couldn't get onto Henman Hill/Murray Mountain I still had a chilled time with my strawberries and cream!



Djokovic with his trophy just by the door there...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment