Monday, January 02, 2012

Touristic dilemmas

Sorry for the delay everyone, my parents' visit meant I had to take a holiday break from my entries. Seeing as I worked for most of the period I had to take a break from something. But I'm back and re-energized for 2012!

My next overseas adventure is shortly directing me towards The Land of the Long White Cloud, and I've finally started researching. I'm becoming more and more excited as I try to decide what to cover over the fortnight I'm in New Zealand, and glad I'm spending four days in the Bay of Islands - it's going to be STUNNING! Plus I'll be with my tour buddies for that so it'll be even better - places like this look like they're best enjoyed with great company.

But as we all know New Zealand has some current rebuilding issues, physically and emotionally. This is thankfully only limited to one city, but Christchurch is a pretty unfortunate example. The news that they've had more aftershocks today is so sad to hear when they're trying so hard to rebuild from TWO earthquakes in a year. How does that happen? Why?



It leaves me with a tough choice to make as an outsider going in. I hate to be voicing this thought, but it came to me after reading today's news. Do I skip Christchurch? If I make this sound pretty heavy and you don't think that's justified, think about it. The city is rebuilding. AGAIN. If today hadn't happened maybe I'd think differently. But the fact that it has probably means it's better if I don't put myself at risk and miss it completely.

I really don't want to do that, but I have to put my safety first. Yes, anywhere else could also have natural disasters, but it's got me worried. And it would no doubt have the parents worried also. I hate to do that to the city and its people because it seems I'm forgetting they exist and they need the support. I'm in two minds.

Question time: Should I go? Give me a reason NOT to skip it and you might be the reason I do. But if you think I should give it a miss, tell me why and you could be just as influential. Seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment