Monday, June 25, 2012

A year ago today I was at Dingle Peninsula, Republic of Ireland, happily giving my soul to the Atlantic at Coumeenole Beach.



I have written about my days in Ireland already, but this one has pictures! Plus I really wanted to relive this part of my travels because it would have to be just about the happiest.

The beach was pretty awesome actually. The Dingle Peninsula in general was freezing - wind, rain, you name it, it was shocking. In June. One girl on my tour managed to slip and get soaked in the tide when we got on the beach. I did not envy her. I considered just staying back and not worrying about it because I didn't want to have sandy feet (I know right? I'm ridiculous) - but I managed it with one foot and escaped with minimal sand. A triumph at the expense of some laughs, but I did it! The legend goes I have to return in 20 years to reclaim the part of my soul it took. I felt at the time as I still do now that it already had a bit of it anyway; the chill of the water was bearable and I savoured that moment.

That was day two of a three-day Southern Rocker with Shamrocker; yesterday a year ago was another major bucket list item ticked off.

Since I was able to string comprehensible words together (at the ripe old age of four, I had teething problems), I've been known as a loud and fast talker. I think I've mellowed in the last couple of years (although some may deny that), but kissing the Blarney Stone for me was about having that gift to pull out really good wit on the spot and improve my communication for whatever journalistic tasks I would face in my life. I was said to have given it a huge pucker smack in the middle.

The tour would also take me and at least 40 others through Killarney, Dingle, Ennis and the Cliffs of Moher before getting to Galway. A great few days; I hung out with a great bunch, met some interesting locals and got a real feel for regional Ireland.
I hopped off in Galway instead of returning back to Dublin (I'd spend two days there anyway) and met some great people on what I'd have to say was my best (travel) pub crawl. There were ones before and there have been ones since, but a small group in this instance worked a treat and everyone got along. And got sloshed. Good times.

My six days in the republic were the last of my nine-week solo voyage. I would next meet my family in Heathrow Airport, where I had time to think about how well (overall) it had gone, and what a perfect ending I'd had with Ireland. But that new chapter was about to crash through, and while I thought I was ready I had no idea what would hit me so suddenly.

***


Where those at the forefront at the Easter Rising were executed, Kilmainham Jail, Dublin

Jonathan Swift's resting place in St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin


Me giving Blarney Stone a good ol' peck
First ever pint of Guinness - look at the rings on that one!




Cliffs of Moher

Galway, looking from the Claddagh side of the river

-------

*I have two photos entered in the current Qatar Reflections competition. Please show your support for me by voting for either photo! Short backstory and links here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment