Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A year ago today, I was at Belfast, Northern Ireland, opening my eyes to the turbulent history of its people through a Black Cab tour.


I wrote a bit about my time in Ireland at the time, but this day's a standout because I never knew the extent of the battle between the Protestants and Catholics. If my time in Granada was personal grieving, this was definitely grieving for others. I felt lost for much of this day.

I cried for a good half of the few hours the tour took, including as I took the above photo. We went through the 'Peace Wall' to the Protestant-dominant residential area, saw murals with who they idolised and then got taken to areas that showed us the other side. I was with a woman from Brisbane who was as speechless as me - and our guide laughed as he asked us why we were a bit quiet. What could be said?

Rebecca and I ended up finishing the day with a tour of the Titanic quarter which was cool, but we couldn't believe what we saw. Pictures can not convey the sadness I felt as we were taken to these such significant areas.

***

I also went to Derry where we stood on the street where Bloody Sunday happened. There's not as much tension there now as Belfast, but that was still so sad and had similar murals. Otherwise, my Northern Ireland experience was great.



One of the Peace Wall's checkpoints, only a select few are open at night.



My contribution to peace



They even have their own Berlin Wall of sorts.




Carrick-a-rope Bridge
Giant's Causeway







-------
*I have two photos entered in the current Qatar Reflections competition. Please show your support for me by voting for either photo! Short backstory and links here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment