Saturday, June 16, 2012

A year ago today I was in Edinburgh, Scotland, sitting in the spot JK Rowling did to write much of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
*Review's tomorrow night folks :D


I wrote a bit about my UK travels in bits here and here, but thought I'd recap a bit differently now.
As well as excitedly writing about how inspired I was, how cool The Elephant House is (you can really see the castle from there), and how incredible their hot chocolates were, I was busy revisiting the events of yesterday when I'd been on top of the world. I'd climbed 250 metres to the top of Arthur's Seat - that trek took me over an hour because I think I went from the back way. It took an age and I questioned my motives for doing it, but after crawling on hands and knees for the last part of it, the view and the sense of achievement were totally worth it. Plus not having done exercise for two months, I needed it.
I missed out on a ghost tour because I misjudged the time, but I did reward myself by buying an expensive meal of haggis, mash and neeps. It was really good actually, I just managed to eat it all. Big serve.

The next few days would see me take in Edinburgh Castle as well as the Highlands on a day-trip where I was picked up by a Scotsman. After that was Glasgow, where like Edinburgh, had some amazing vintage. I loved Edinburgh in particular so much, I got an immediate feeling of the 'it' factor, which only London has reeeally given me before. The 'I could live here for a bit' factor.
***
On entering the UK after Spain, I was so relieved I was in an English-speaking country once more.
The wave of relief that washed over me as I flew into Gatwick Airport was ridiculous. I actually laughed out loud as I walked towards the luggage collection area. People were going to understand me.
I learnt a big lesson in Spain about communication barriers and subsequent hostility. I wasn't so understanding at the time and still feel I wasn't wrong to be angry, but even then it washed away as I once more entered a city that I was starting to feel rather familiar with.
While in England, I went to Bath for a full day and saw a smidgeon more of London, hung out with friends new and old and just had a nice few chilled days before heading to Birmingham, where a daytrip included Cadbury World. Leeds came with daytrips to York and Hebden Bridge, where the rain began and wouldn't stop for some time on my travels. This time with more friends was nice, just the familiarity of seeing faces I knew was a relief at the right time.
My time in England and Scotland in a nutshell:


 
Apple pie icecream made on the spot with liquid nitrogen. OMG.

 

 
The Cadbury gorilla! He even performed 'In The Air Tonight'... I believe
I reverted back to being a five-year-old in excitement.

One of Leeds' many arcades
Hebden Bridge: the third best hippie town in the world apparently.

This was the Yorkshire pudding I had - not the norm apparently.
But still really good. Was pining at the chips the people next to me
had left behind though, there was no side!

250 metres. You can tell I was impressed with myself.

 
One of my favourite shots actually, just the early-morning
bustle amidst such an olden setting

Thought I saw Nessie! The home of the sea monster in the Scottish Highlands

See? Picked up by a Scotsman! My tour guide Andy.

Glasgow: great vintage. A jacket I scored for 2 pounds is sitting on
the top of that tub on the floor.
-------
*I have two photos entered in the current Qatar Reflections competition. Please show your support for me by voting for either photo! Short backstory and links here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment