Sunday, July 22, 2012

A year ago today I was at Pyrgos, Ilias, Greece, having enjoyed finally seeing the house my maternal grandmother spent her childhood in.


It's not been left to ruin thank goodness, as my grandma's only sibling still in Greece often visits and has maintained the upkeep.

My grandma, or yiayia as we call her which is the Greek word, was one of eight children. You can clearly tell that this is not a big property. They did it rough in those days... at least now there's a well-functioning Western toilet.

It's a town of 20-30,000 people, not small by any means. We spent three days there, the next two of which included exploring Pyrgos but also going to Olympia which is only 20km or so away (yeah, how cool is that, ancient sporting ruins at your doorstep). My second visit there wasn't as comprehensive but I finally found the 'floga' (the spot where they ignite the flame); the first time around I managed to miss it.

Best hot chips everrrr.




Half of the town of Olympia is eateries for the tourists. But this street was pretty.
My great grandparents' resting place.


The most beautiful cemetery I think I've ever set foot in



This car was stationary. No-one inside. And parked on a zebra crossing.
You can read an overview of the entire six weeks with my family here but you should keep checking out the photos to really see it for yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment