Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A year ago today I was at Hydra and Poros, Greece, on a daytrip from Athens.

Hydra's port
A week with the family in Athens started our time on the mainland, but the islands before had been so good we decided to visit these two islands and soak up the sun in a different setting over one of the days. Just gorgeous. The rest of the week was catching up with Athens relatives, gorging on more yiros and seeing the last Harry Potter movie! Just because I'd missed out on the London premiere by mere days it did NOT mean I was going to wait to get back to Australia to see the film!

I didn't take many photos of the islands (for a change) because I was just enjoying myself. And it was hot so we just went straight to the beach in Poros.

A Hydra donkey to greet us...

Poros

A lot of people are disappointed by Athens because it's not the pretty Paris or bouncy Barcelona. But I really liked it even the second time round, there are awesome social areas, good shopping (the shoe shopfront displays alone are the best in the world, hands down - so many beautiful heels...) and the centre's just filled with history that slaps you in the face. Heck, that's the whole country in a nutshell really.



 
This club was still something out of a movie a year after my
first time there. But it was more touristy this time...

 
A turn of Greek dancing in a suburban restaurant anyone?
That's my uncle being taught some moves by our Athenian cousin.
Next: my journey continues to discover my maternal ancestry. Up in the next few days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment