Sunday, July 08, 2012

I'm wide awake


Dear Katy,

Where has this song been before now?

Yours sincerely,
Katina

***

I've liked most of Katy Perry's songs before now; catchy pop tunes with a bit of fun and attitude. Plus I like that she's a bit crazy with coloured hair and wigs, which is not something I’d go as far to do with my own zany ways but I respect her for it.

It’s been hard to escape seeing her face at the moment as she made her Australian rounds promoting Katy Perry: Part of Me 3D. But seeing that she didn’t hold back and made something to show her fans how even those incredibly successful and seemingly sure of themselves can have major heartache. Not that we don’t know that, but somehow we always appreciate that reminder.

That sort of attitude is a far cry from the other crazy pop songstress out there. Yes, I’m talking about Gaga, and I want to draw comparisons because it makes me feel better knowing there’s an example of how to be different and not alienate half your potential fans by acting from a mythical higher order. Perry appears on all levels much more accessible and accepting of what comes her way. And that’s what people need a lot of the time.

As the songs from her Teenage Dream album continued to be released I found myself paying more and more attention. Then her new song came along and I, like millions of others around the world, wondered where Wide Awake had been hiding before now.

It’s amazing.

There are songs that a lot of people think were just written for them, and this has to be one of those. OK, so it was really written about her break-up - but you know. Anyone who can convey their frustration and heartbreak into such a dynamic song like this one gets brownie points.

Out of all this I’ve just realised that she’s one cool chicken. Strong, appreciative and fun. I'm more of a fan than I ever was. That’s really what I wanted to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment