Sunday, April 08, 2012

*All photos courtesy of afl.com.au

This weekend I've managed to watch the most AFL (Australian Football League) in a long time and very grateful 7mate are giving NSW viewers NOT rugby league fans the chance to see some of it. So I'm steering away from continuing my New Zealand makes you series for another night to comment on this weekend's AFL (Australian Football League) - namely the recent grooming of some players.

Everyone was in a spin last night about young Adelaide Crow Taylor Walker's mullet. Because I didn't get the game (which sucks, but we won), I had to suss this out.


You can't really tell there so it's up for debate, but I was so proud of the kid for taking that mark I had to use this photo. Totally have bragging rights over two friends with the win now!

The game I was stuck with watching though was interesting in its own right. Collingwood and Richmond were singlehandedly bringing the bogan back, in more ways than one.

It should have been called 'The Hair Clash'. I couldn't help but notice former Crow Ivan Maric's latest do. Pretty sure it (thankfully) beats Walker's. Check that nasty thing out...


Turns out it even has its own Facebook page. I'm torn between what is right and wrong with the mullet and so am yet to join it. The mystery for me continues as it gives no explanation as to why he has grown it as such.

To Collingwood and briefly on a better note, Dale Thomas' hair is looking good cropped after his shave for charity. This was news to me, I didn't recognise him lol.


Then there's Dane Swan, who continues to take me by surprise. I'm not a fan of Collingwood by any means, but I appreciate this guy's talent. It's just a shame to see him go from this unassuming humble guy to wanting to stand out with all the tattoos and a new military-style do that makes him look like a skinhead from the 80s. Sorry man.




This combination does nothing for Swan whatsoever. He was one of the first to really bring the tattoo sleeve to the game (not a good thing in my opinion), and now he's going full pelt. Yes he plays for Collingwood, but even with that shame on him it's still a bit much. I kept thinking I was watching a game from 1982 in HD or something with all of these elements combined.

I have mixed opinions on the whole tattoo thing, but focusing on the game and its obvious explosion of tattooed players, Swan (and Dayne Beames among others) have singlehandedly brought the overdone pointless tattoos back. Look at the hand tattoos on Swan now, and LEG tattoos (for me the worst). He's putting them on places that scream 'bikie!!!' and disappointingly it distracts you (well me at least) from the game/talent.

What I don't like the most about his bogan revival is that there's no real reason for it. He said so in an SMH article published yesterday. Seriously dude, you won a Brownlow and that's cool, but you've clearly let it get to your head. Stop now before you regret it. Please. And Maric, your locks have to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment