Monday, May 21, 2012

This is the eighth post in a series about the Eurovision Song Contest. If you don't know what that is I strongly suggest you follow my posts. You'll learn a lot.


Dubbo got its own taste of Eurovision glory when Eurobeat: Almost Eurovision had a short run last month. I went along with Julia, a friend who is relatively new to the greatness of the contest and the reason behind this blog series.


It was hilarious. We had a drunken male host trying to pick up the female, who changed after every song, there were 12 countries participating and we got to vote in real time! Great set of songs, full of trash and parody...




***

I'm unlike most Eurovision tragics in that I don't generally go out of my way to listen to the songs ahead of the contest. I much prefer the element of surprise, and now that we have semi-finals I get to listen to half of them ahead of the final anyway.

Having said that, I was curious of Engelbert Humperdinck's entry purely because of the seemingly strange choice to appoint him the UK's 2012 hope. And as one of the favourites, it's not a bad song. It's a ballad, which generally doesn't fare that well with me, but it's a song that I think a lot will like.

When I actually went to Eurovision, I had no idea then either. People were asking me who I liked best and were surprised I hadn't even heard Jedward's Lipstick. Haven't heard their follow-up for this year either. I WAS going to change my mind and seek out some more of the songs but I decided that could wait another year.

***

I will do my best to get reviews of the three nights up during the week - I am SO excited btw, it's EUROVISION WEEK, but before then take a look at some of the good, bad and the ugly. This... is Eurovision.

















0 Comments:

Post a Comment