Tuesday, May 08, 2012

This is the second post in a series about the Eurovision Song Contest. If you don't know what that is I strongly suggest you follow my posts. You'll learn a lot.

As an Australian of Greek heritage I feel privileged to be able to back a country wholeheartedly in Eurovision, and I am proud that in my decade of watching the contest Greece has done particularly well all-round.

There have been some downs. What I didn't mention about the first contest I watched was that the song for that year, Mando's Never Let You Go, was particularly soppy. I wasn't a huge fan. I've since found I much prefer their boppier stuff - Europop at its finest.

According to Wikipedia, before my time Greece wasn’t as successful. That would’ve sucked. Because where would we have been without the likes of Kalomira or Sarbel? But even before them there were The Golden Years (2004-2005).



2004. A damn good year for Greece. Before winning soccer’s Euro2004 as underdogs AND hosting an awesome Olympics to defy naysayers, Sakis Rouvas (aka God, who I’ve written about before) as the favourite was robbed of the Eurovision title and finished third. Shake It is one of the cheesier catchy pop songs you will hear in your time, as are his moves, but can you blame him? You still want to watch him. And you can’t help but smile and want to sing along a bit. Take a look.




Then there was Helena Paparizou a year later. Reinvigorating Greece in the contest through 2001’s third placing as one half of duo Antique, she went one better to win with My Number One. It was one year too early when Athens held the contest final in 2006 – Year 12 meant there was no chance of flying over in the hopes of attending as my friends and I had considered. Total bummer.





Greece's success is even relative over here in Australia. The SBS Eurovision voting (so we don't feel left out) often places them in a high position. They're just too cool. I haven't heard the 2012 song yet, but as always my expectations are rising as the contest creeps closer.

*If there's something you want me to write about within my Eurovision series, I would love any suggestions. Otherwise please share my stories or provide some feedback if you can :)

-------

*I have two photos entered in the current Qatar Reflections competition. Please show your support for me by voting for either photo! Short backstory and links here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment